Tetris DS (game)
  • I love the fact that I can still play the original marathon version of the game
  • I have not won too many, but I enjoy battling others

• by Victoria Durm

One of my favorite games for the Nintendo DS is Tetris. Tetris has been a favorite of mine from the very first time I played it on the original Nintendo Entertainment System. However, this version of Tetris turns the old version on it’s head!

I love the fact that I can still play the original marathon version of the game. The marathon version of Tetris allowed me to play from level 0 to what ever level I wanted to stop at. The colors of the pieces, called tetrimoes, remain classic, yet much more vibrant on the DS than they were on the old Nintendo system.

While game play is the same in Marathon mode, the music is not. In place of the old Tetris music, I get to listen to the soundtracks of other classic Nintendo games like Super Mario, Yoshi’s Cookie Factory, and many others. It was quite a surprise the first time I turned on the game to hear that. Now I have come to love it.

In addition to being able to play Tetris normally, there are several other methods of play. One of my other favorite modes is Puzzle mode. This mode challenges the player to get a certain amount of lines, or to clear ...

• a level in a certain amount of moves. I have found myself challenged over and over. I love games that challenge my mind.

Another game that is pretty good on here is the Catch mode. This game resembles a space game. It has a space ship with Tetrimoes connected to do it. As the game progresses, the object is to turn the ship in order to catch various other pieces. The trick is to make sure they fit into place. I do not play this game often because of my reflexes, but it is fun every once in a while.

The fun does not stop

with one player. I am able to use DS WiFi to connecto many players all around the world. I have had many battles wirelessly. I have not won too many, but I enjoy battling others. This feature adds an additonal way to play Tetris, and challenge myself.

Tetris DS lives up to everything the old game was. It doesn’t try to be innovative. It keeps to the heart of the game. That is the best thing about this game. It does not try to be something it really isn’t. Tetris is the original puzzle video game. I couldn’t ask for anything better or simpler.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 164011376940631/k2311a014/1.4.11