HTC Surround  » Phones  »
  • I like Android better where I can move things around and get only the applications I need
  • I tend to like bigger screens because the movie watching experience on the go/ in public places is more enjoyable
  • The best thing about the video recording is that it records in

• by MisterTickle

I got the HTC Surround as a gift actually. I already have an HTC phone, and I’m pretty satisfied with the brand. This phone, unlike the other one I have, is a prepaid unlocked phone. This means that I can use the phone with any cell phone service.

I’m very used to the Android platform so switching to the Windows 7 operating system is a bit hard to accept. The navigation is a bit more difficult. I like Android better where I can move things around and get only the applications I need. I’m not saying that it is impossible to customize the layout on the Windows 7 platform, only that it is harder to do so. I’m copying the box

just for a second here. The weight of the phone is 165 grams with the battery. Playing it for quite a while, I have to admit that this phone is pretty light. The screen size of this phone is 3.8 inches. I wish it could be a little bigger. I tend to like bigger screens because the movie watching experience on the go/ in public places is more enjoyable. The other thing about this phone is that it has a 1 GHz processor. Using Microsoft’s own operating system, it feels pretty fast. I feel like it feels this fast because applications are specifically designed for the Windows 7 platform.

Unlike Android, HTC Hub is the source to all the applications needs. The bad thing is that there isn’t any open development. Unlike Android where users can create their own applications, it is impossible to do that on the HTC Hub platform. Although I don’t create applications on a regular basis, I do create applications not seen in the applications market.

The most incredible thing about the HTC Surround is the camera. It offers 5 mega-pixels with HD effects, flash, and auto-focus. I’ve never seen a camera this awesome. I’m so used to the 3.2 mega-pixels camera because I have quite a few of them. The 5 MP camera isn’t superior in quality like a camera, but it is decent.

There are two types of ways of connecting to the internet. The first way is ...

• HTC Surround
      using 3G/ phone service. I cannot review that quality because I am not on a phone service. I use the Wi-Fi instead. I simply connect it to my home network. The wireless adapter is pretty good. It can actually detect my wireless network inside my house. I use it to find information on the web without having to turn on the computer. The internet can get a bit slow occasionally, but majority of the time, it is fine.

The entertainment part of the HTC Surround is most impressive. The audio playback accepts many formats including the basic .MP3 and .WMA. Video playback also offers .MP4 and .WMV. You will have to go to contact HTC for the entire formats accepted. It can

accept quite a few formats. I never have to convert file formats. It also offers HD 720P video recording. The best thing about the video recording is that it records in .MP4 format. Unlike other phones I have, which records in .AVI, this phone is .MP4. This is most useful because I never have to convert it, which takes me a lot of time to do.

The call quality is decent. I’m currently using the Skype service and my internet to make VoIP calls. I never get dropped calls and it’s quick to connect. Overall, I’m pretty pleased with this phone. I would like it better if it ran on Android. I feel that Android offers more freedom than closed operating system platforms.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 373011375830931/k2311a013/1.3.11