Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Receiver With Heart Rate Monitor  » Watches  »
  • I have to admit that I like my Garmin Forerunner quite a bit
  • I wasn't very impressed with the default layout, but I was able to replace it with the info I needed to see during my workout
  • I decided to try a web-based subscription service (Motion-Based) so that I get additional functionality

• by Kevin Arrington

I have to admit that I like my Garmin Forerunner quite a bit. I workout frequently, so it really comes in handy. I am a runner and biker; the instanteneous readout for distance, heart rate and running pace are excellent features. I often use this data to make key changes in my exercise routines. I couldn’t make informed decisions about the way I train without the Garmin.

I have used other heart-rate monitors which drop signals which sort of defeats the purpose of having the thing in the first place. My only complaint (and this is a bit picky) is that the

first acquisiton of the satellite signal can be a bit tedious and it take time to get it right. After the initial setup, I have had only one dropped signal.

Just to measure the accuracy, I have compared the distance on the GPS with a measured distance on one of my running trails. The Garmin usually ticks off another mile when I am within about 10 feet of the mile marker on my running path. Not Bad! Although the watch is a bit bulky, it is very stylish and I have received many compliments on it’s design and functionality. I was a ...

• little worried about the heart rate strap, but so far, it has been comfortable to wear.

Another useful feature is the fact that the various pages of information can be personally customized. I wasn’t very impressed with the default layout, but I was able to replace it with the info I needed to see during my workout. You can choose from many data fields like average run pace, distance, current pace, and of course, heart rate.

I am no computer wiz, so I was concerned about uploading my workout data to my computer. However, the software is easy to use and is designed

for novices like me. I have access to pace-distance-time-heartrate-and even calorie data. I was less than impressed with the maps, they looked a bit crude and elementary. I decided to try a web-based subscription service (Motion-Based) so that I get additional functionality. I have not decided if it’s worth the extra bucks.

Finally, the biggest benefit of owning this device is that my motivation for training has increased. It has become my running and biking companion. If Garmin is listening, please update the software so that semi-pro athletes like me will have access to more usable data.

Overall, this watch is a must-have.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 642011374601031/k2311a012/1.2.11