West Coast Express in Mission, Canada  » Travel  »
  • For one, after purchasing a ticket for $11.25 one way from Vancouver to Mission City, I thought all I had to do was waiting for the gates to open so I can go back to the train’s depot
  • I found the driver friendly, although what he was saying over the intercom was inaudible to the dismay of most passengers
  • I would recommend the West Coast Express to travelers to the so-called Tri-cities

• by RichieMogwai

West Coast Express is the name for the transit system in use between Vancouver’s Waterfront area all the way to far away Mission. I knew that the service existed, but until I embarked on it on December 10, 2010 for the first time, there were many things, which I apparently did not know.

For one, after purchasing a ticket for $11.25 one way from Vancouver to Mission City, I thought all I had to do was waiting for the gates to open so I can go back to the train’s depot. Boy was I wrong. If I did not ask around, the bus in front of the Union station would have left without me. The fact is, there is no sign telling anybody that before 3:00 p.m., the train is not running, so passengers of the West Coast Express need to board the bus instead. Anyway, the bus turned

out to be decent looking. From the ticket I purchased, it looks like it is going to be an hour and half worth of trip.

Since I have not been to Mission before, I was feeling excited about the whole trip. I found the driver friendly, although what he was saying over the intercom was inaudible to the dismay of most passengers. There was a lady who seemed to get mad as she felt that the driver almost ignored her presence at the bus shelter, but when the bus operator opened the door, she went up with a big smile and everything looked good after that. I thought I could look forward to some scenic stops as the trip involved travelling on top of mostly Vancouver, Burnaby, and then Surrey. What I soon realized was that the bus trip was simply going to wind through the northern outskirts of ...

• the city, although some mountain views here and there were quite a treat.

It was a cloudy and rainy day, though, so there was not much to see. I wondered, however, how the trip would have turned out, had I boarded the coach train instead, which some people have told me is quite luxurious and comfortable. Too bad, I had to leave early for Mission that day; otherwise, I would have patiently waited for the train in the afternoon. The bus trip was efficient and before long, we had traversed Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, and Abbotsford. It did not feel like a new world although I have not been on this trip before. It just felt strange, with the sky overcast and all.

The fare is just about right, and I cannot complain about the service. The only bottleneck we ever experienced was the last leg, when we were

getting close to Mission City. There was a heavy road construction, which converted the highway into a one-way street, so both directions had to alternate for access. After about thirty minutes of delay, we successfully traversed the construction area. The delay also gave me some chance to get some impression of Mission, a city I was visiting for the very first time. Apparently, this city offered the excellent view of the Fraser River, and the mountains as well, some of which were snowcapped at this time of the year.

I would recommend the West Coast Express to travelers to the so-called Tri-cities. It was quite comfortable bus wise and there was even a baggage compartment on top of the seats and on the side of the bus. Hence, any heavy traveler should not have any space issues. The customer service is also quite acceptable so I cannot complain.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382011373590831/k2311a012/1.2.11