Vanguard Money Market Fund  » Finance  »
  • My own experience, however, is not only for the short haul, but that it reached a point at one time about a year ago that I almost had to pull everything
  • I believe, however, that this is the best approach, and I cannot for the life of me see any better alternative

• by RichieMogwai

The Vanguard Money Market Fund is a prestigious one, and with quite a reputation. Some fund analysts are quick to advise that it has not lost any money, despite the advent of recession, although I highly doubt that. I am a realist by heart, and thus have no illusions about my investment, however small it is.

My situation for entering the Vanguard fray is simply to have an emergency fund I could use, although I have been quite luckily despite the prevailing circumstances. So far, I have been able to refrain from drawing from well, so-to-speak, and I should commend not only myself, but the fund for that. For those who want to know what is in store, Vanguard Money Market Fund is actually

an assortment of investment portfolios, which are either highly taxed or not taxed at all.

Two good examples of Vanguard Money Market Fund are Prime Money (VMMXX) or Treasury money (VMPXX). If you ask me, it does not necessarily mean that being untaxed is always a good thing, since people belong to different tax brackets. In addition, people may be in it for the long or the short haul. This makes a big difference in how far investors are willing to go. My own experience, however, is not only for the short haul, but that it reached a point at one time about a year ago that I almost had to pull everything. As it turned out, it felt like pulling teeth especially ...

• about contacting my representative. Fortunately, some available funds intervened, so I did not have to withdraw my however meager investment after all. Nevertheless, the drill showed me how tortuous the path to withdrawal could be for what virtually any star analyst considers high a high yield money market fund.

Therefore, the moral of the story, do not believe anything you hear from other investors or even reputable bloggers for that matter. Make sure you take everything with a grain of salt. Luckily, there are online calculators, which help me do the math. However, even after some excellent calculations, I still need some experts to tell me whether I am doing the right thing or not. I believe, however, that this is the best

approach, and I cannot for the life of me see any better alternative. The more people you ask, the better the prospects seem or the more grim, but I find that consulting many people puts me in better footing than if I were to undertake all the analysis myself.

Vanguard Money Market Fund works, but from my experience, only for the long haul especially considering the time it takes to withdraw one’s funds when some emergencies arise, such as the false alarm I had in the past. So if I were you, go with this fund, but only if you are able to be in it for the long haul. By all means, never cast your lot if all you have is money you cannot afford to lose.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 422011373580831/k2311a012/1.2.11