Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant  » Phones  »
  • The store demo model was playing the movie Avatar and I was blown away at the amazing picture quality
  • The 5 megapixel camera can record in 720p which is nice but unfortunately, it doesn't have a flash unlike its Verizon counterpart
  • Nor does it have a front facing camera which I believe another version of Galaxy S series has
  • At first I thought that was odd because I wouldn't want to accidently hit that button, but I never have had that particular problem

• by MovieNut

The Samsung Galaxy S Series of phones has a model for each carrier. This review will focus on the Vibrant which is the T-Mobile version.

When I first walked into a T-Mobile store, this phone caught my eye. The store demo model was playing the movie “Avatar” and I was blown away at the amazing picture quality. It features something called a Super AMOLED screen. I have no idea what that means, but it’s beautiful. So I had to start playing with it.

The Vibrant has a 1 GHz processor and comes with Android version 2.1 as its operating system. It’s fast. The touch screen is amazingly repsonsive. The phone has 16 GB of internal memory and mine came with a 2 GB micro SD card.

More than plenty of room for all the media and apps you’ll ever need.

Media playback on this thing is amazing. The high resolution display combined with 5.1 channel surround sound when using a headset really blew my mind. The speakers on the phone are not too bad either. The 5 megapixel camera can record in 720p which is nice but unfortunately, it doesn’t have a flash unlike its Verizon counterpart. Nor does it have a front facing camera which I believe another version of Galaxy S series has.

The Vibrant has all the usual bells and whistles of modern day smartphones such as Bluetooth, Internet, GPS, and WiFi. But what makes this phone stand out are the little design touches. The power/sleep button is on the side ...

• of the phone instead of on the top, right where your fingers would be when holding the phone. At first I thought that was odd because I wouldn’t want to accidently hit that button, but I never have had that particular problem. There’s a little sliding door that covers the USB port. I love that. No more worries about lint clogging that port. The phone also has this odd chin at its base. I have no idea why, but it doesn’t bother me at all.

Now on to some of the problems I’ve found besides the lack of a flash for the camera and no front facing camera. The battery life is short. After some research online, I was able to find an app along with tweaking

some settings to fix this. Now the battery lasts all day long. The micro SD card is a bit of a pain to get to. I guess normally you don’t really need to, just plug in the USB cable. The GPS doesn’t seem to work properly and from what I understand this is a problem with all Samsung phones. And the biggest problem is that Android just released version 2.3 of their operating system. Samsung has yet to release an upgrade to version 2.2 even. Get with it Samsung. I want Flash which is a huge part of 2.2.

Overall, the phone is amazing. If it had a flash, a front facing camera, and better Samsung support, I’d rate this a full 10. But alas, it gets an 8.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 372011373140731/k2311a012/1.2.11