Lauren Wood’s Fallen Single  » Music  »
  • I must have listened to Lauren Wood’s Fallen single a million times since the movie Pretty Woman introduced me to it, and in my opinion it is peerless
  • She has definitely imparted it with her own style, interpretation, and genius
  • While it seems to appeal to the much older crowd, or to be precise, the Pretty Woman boomers, its rhythm and sensuality, I believe, resonate across all ages of music lovers

• by RichieMogwai

I must have listened to Lauren Wood’s Fallen single a million times since the movie Pretty Woman introduced me to it, and in my opinion it is peerless. Wood is an American singer-songwriter who began her career in the late ‘70s, formed a band, and shot to fame with the Julia Roberts bandwagon effect. Fallen was the perfect music for the tender moments in the movie when the lovers go on a romantic date, embark on a jet trip, and end up watching the opera.

The song was certainly the perfect cover for the movie, although it was intended for the softer moments, instead of the loud parts.

The single has a ballroom dancing rhythm to it, but to me the most appealing part of it is the instrumentation. Honestly, I do not think the Pretty Woman movie would have been a huge success without this song, inasmuch as it served to enhance the film’s romantic moments.

I do not think any other artist can sing the song with such tenderness, although the vocals seem to be coming from a young man with a falsetto voice. It is the sexiest falsetto I have ever heard. Romance, sex appeal, and rhythm are elements, which go together, or blend well, in the Fallen single.

• The song’s fantastic lyrics likewise support these elements with such tenderness that the single as a whole becomes sublime in its understatement.

“I can’t believe it, you’re a dream comin’ true”, so starts the song. While it could be argued that the Pretty Woman single was the stronger element in the movie soundtrack, the Lauren Wood single lifted the romantic theme of the movie. Apart from the movie, though, the single can stand in its own right, with its remarkable lyrics.

The song, however, is not new. It was even sung by ballads legend Johnny Mathis along with others. However, I do not think

anyone performs the song as well Wood. She has definitely imparted it with her own style, interpretation, and genius. No wonder the artist seemed to vanish from the music scene after the song hit the mainstream, and sold many copies. As they say, genius strikes only once.

Fallen is an excellent love song, but at the same time it will hold its own ground in dance ballrooms or those sweet moments on any dance floor. While it seems to appeal to the much older crowd, or to be precise, the Pretty Woman boomers, its rhythm and sensuality, I believe, resonate across all ages of music lovers.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1431121372790231/k2311a1231/12.31.10