Clairol Daily Defense Conditioner Volumizing 16 oz  » Health  »
0.5
  • I noticed that it was becoming harder to find, so I stocked up on it whenever I happened to see it in a store
  • I have to say I am extremely disappointed in Clairol for their re-release of this product as it now is
  • I would not recommend this conditioner to anyone, unless maybe you are desperate and it’s the only brand on the shelf

• by reviewabit

Back in the early part of the decade, I used Clairol’s Daily Defense line of shampoos and conditioners– in particular the conditioners. It seemed to give my hair more body and a better feel and texture than any other. I noticed that it was becoming harder to find, so I stocked up on it whenever I happened to see it in a store. Eventually, it was no longer available, and I had to switch to another brand.

I hadn’t even thought about the product in years until I was shopping in a discount store the other week and saw, to my surprise, a bottle of the product on the shelf. It was the Daily Defense conditioner for thin hair. The bottle design was completely different and the price was much

lower, but it seemed to be a regular stock item, not a closeout.

The scent was not as I remembered it either. I did wonder at the time if it was truly the same formula and quality, but since it was very inexpensive, I figured I had little to lose in trying it out. I used my regular shampoo the next day and replaced my conditioner with the new Clairol.

I have to say I am extremely disappointed in Clairol for their re-release of this product as it now is. It’s an insult to the people who used the old Daily Defense and loved it. I would put this new product on par with White Rain brand.

It is very cheaply made. It did not ...

• even detangle my wet hair. It most certainly did not make it feel soft or moisturized, and after I dried it, it was full of static.

Even the scent is weak and indistinct. This is nothing at all like the original product. If they wanted to release a cheap, useless line of hair care, they should have given it a new name.

This conditioner did not “defend” my hair against anything. I could find at least a dozen products in the same price range that would have done a much better job– and that is pretty sad when you only pay a dollar or so for something. I was really surprised at this, because I have generally found Clairol products to be very good.

It seems

this one was an attempt at a little-known bargain store kind of line, as I do not see it anywhere else. I suppose they thought they could get away with it and no one would remember the old Daily Defense. What a shame, as it was really a good product and now all that is left is a mockery of it.

While I still do like Clairol products, from now on I will be a little more skeptical if I see a new product line, as I now know they are looking to make a “quick buck” on a cheap line masquerading as a good older (or rather former) product. I would not recommend this conditioner to anyone, unless maybe you are desperate and it’s the only brand on the shelf.

Christa says :

Hi, I am like you I used to only use daily defense back in the 90’s and i just saw it again in the dollar store same label a cheaper looking container. I was so excited to see it again. I purchased it and it doesnt remind me of the original. Upon further research Its not even made by clairol. I am assuming they are just using the logo its a distributing company like momentum brands. I just have to post this because like you I was so excited and now I am pretty bummed I have even looked on ebay anywhere to buy some. Wish I stocked up. Good Luck finding some )

Joanna says :

Hi Christa,

I am sorry that you didn’t get the product that you are looking for. However, I do know that Suave makes a great Daily Clarifying shampoo. It is pretty inexpensive at Walmart. My mom loves it. Its here go to brand since she can’t find the original Clairol formula anymore.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joanna

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3429121372331031/k2311a1229/12.29.10