The Sorcerer of the North: Book Five of the Ranger’s Apprentice Series by John Flanagan  » Books  »
  • But I must say I felt a bit cheated to have missed out on what were probably some interesting times

• by John Roper

Sometimes an author really shakes up his reader’s expectations. This is what happened to me when I started “The Sorcerer of the North,” book five in The Ranger’s Apprentice series by Australian novelist John Flanagan. Flanagan’s first four books in the series had Will training under Halt to become a full-fledged ranger. Suddenly, in book five we are years into the future, and Will is no longer an apprentice but an official, oak-leaf-carrying member of the Kingdom’s elite forces. So, if Will is no longer

an apprentice, why is this book not part of a follow-up series? Not only that, what did we miss during the lost years? Aargh!

Okay, as author he has the freedom to write the story from any starting point he chooses. But I must say I felt a bit cheated to have missed out on what were probably some interesting times.

That being said, the storyline is still pretty good and a typical addition to the series. Will is once again put into the position to save ...

• a kingdom. Of course, we won’t get the chance to see him do it until the next book at the very least. This novel is merely setting the stage for a battle to come, a two-book pattern that the author seems to feel comfortable with.

Flanagan handles Will’s transition to adulthood well, making his character believable and more mature than the younger version. The working in of Alyss from book one is commendable, but the allusion to her and Will’s romance during the lost years is

a bit frustrating, not only because we didn’t get to see it develop but also because Evanlyn was such an interesting match for him. So what if she’s royalty and he’s a commoner? Stranger unions have happened. Still, we like Alyss, as well, so maybe over time we’ll get over the loss of the Will/Evanlyn romance. Maybe.

This was not my favorite of Flanagan’s books, but it is still an adequate continuation of the characters we’ve come to love. Hopefully the next book will be more satisfying.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1729121371880931/k2311a1229/12.29.10