Mission Community Library in Mission, Canada  » Education  »
33247 Second Avenue, Mission, British Columbia, telephone number 604-826-6610
  • Although this library is not big, I never seem to have a problem with finding a cubicle to do my work
  • I also noticed that they seem to have a lot of work to do
  • I have caught some of the employees ignoring some requests at times, but I thought this was understandable since there seems to be a lot of work for them to do in this library
  • If you find yourself in downtown Mission, I suggest you spend some time in this library if you are the type who loves to read or surf the Web

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I have always been an avid fan of public libraries. One of my personal favorites is the Vancouver Public Library, one of the city’s famous landmarks. Comparatively, the Mission Community Library is just a simple brick structure and one-storey at that. However, it has its own unique perks, like unlimited free Wi-Fi Internet for library patrons who have their own laptop or notebook computers. Although Vancouver’s main library does offer the same service, many libraries in the Metro area does not, like the Surrey Public Library in the Surrey Central area.

To be honest, it caught me by surprise, because Mission is one of British Columbia’s small cities, which seem forgotten or neglected by the provincial government. For example, it is not part of the SkyTrain system, Vancouver’s high-speed elevated railway transit. There was a plan

to include the city into the infrastructure, but it looks like it is not going to happen, since the city council has voted on investing the transportation budget towards increasing the number of buses. From the main bus depot, it is so easy to get to the library, which is less than a block away.

Coming in for the very first time, I assumed that there was only one-hour free Internet access to be had on any given library day. However, the information desk quickly informed me that I could access the free Wi-Fi from my laptop, which to my surprise was unlimited. Because of this, the library has become my pseudo office. Although this library is not big, I never seem to have a problem with finding a cubicle to do my work. The ...

• library personnel is helpful, but not overbearing or too watchful. They know how to leave the patrons alone.

I also noticed that they seem to have a lot of work to do. I have caught some of the employees ignoring some requests at times, but I thought this was understandable since there seems to be a lot of work for them to do in this library. If you find yourself in downtown Mission, I suggest you spend some time in this library if you are the type who loves to read or surf the Web. Of course, it would be an added bonus if you have your laptop with you, but if you do not, you can at least access the Web for one hour. This library is also a very quiet place to relax

and curl up to a good book. The comfort room is clean, and there is drinking fountain in case you are thirsty.

Just do not bother the staff too much, because they seem overloaded with duties. They smile a lot and seem very friendly, in keeping with the city’s small town appeal, so it is all good. Even the security personnel seem very friendly in reminding patrons fifteen minutes before the library closes, accompanied by a smiling library clerk. There are many great books here. The newspaper and magazine collection is also equally impressive. Rather than buy the daily newspaper or your favorite, magazine, it is much better just read these reading materials here, and save your money for coffee.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5029121371510831/k2311a1229/12.29.10