Sony Micro Hi-Fi Component System CMT-CPZ3  » Electronics  »
  • I bought this stereo component system 2 weeks ago because our 17 year old Sony component system finally gave up
  • I know they are old but nonetheless, I like to listen to my tapes
  • However, if I were to judge the audio quality of this component system then I would not hesitate to say that it is excellent – crisp, clear stereo sounds which enhance my listening experience

• by bethbarl

I bought this stereo component system 2 weeks ago because our 17 year old Sony component system finally gave up. There were several choices at the Sony Center in Gasperich but I was looking for something which would also play the tons of cassettes I have in my collection. I know they are old but nonetheless, I like to listen to my tapes. This particular model was the only one which has a cassette deck in addition to the standard CD player and FM/AM radio tuner. I see that cassette players are becoming (if not already) antiquated.

First, this is not a bulky component system with just 3 pieces - the main component for playing the CDs and cassettes and two speakers. It does not occupy a lot of space and is not heavy to move around. For this, I

find it is built better (space wise) than my previous component system.

Second, setting it up was not an arduous task and I got it all set-up in no time at all. It uses the S-Master Digital Amplifier which to me does not mean anything. However, if I were to judge the audio quality of this component system then I would not hesitate to say that it is excellent – crisp, clear stereo sounds which enhance my listening experience. I find that there are no sound distortions on the playback and I can listen with pleasure and not with a headache. Even my old cassettes do not sound so bad but since they are not digitally recorded then the sound is inferior to CDs which play on the stereo. However, the sound quality is acceptable and for me, it ...

• is a relief that I can still play my cassettes in this machine.

Third, the CD part of this component system is quite versatile as it can read and play CD-RW disks and even those which are in MP3 format or with an MPEG 1 Audio Layer. I am delighted that I can hook up my MP3 player or even my Walkman (which I still have) on the stereo and play songs which I have in the player without loading one CD after another (MD function on the display and there is a small flap at the bottom of the stereo where you insert the cable).

There is a small square antenna at the back which you plug in for the radio broadcasts. Like my old Sony Hi-Fi, I can also pre set radio stations by just pushing the

tuner memory. I can only preset up to 20 FM stations and 10 AM stations which is not a lot. My defunct stereo can memorize much more than this number. However, as there are only few radio stations which I really listen to, then this is unimportant. I like that once stations are found, I can also minimize those which are not within range by pressing the Mono function.

Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase. At the price of € 207,82 this for me is money well spent. It is a stereo which is easy to use, set up and most of all, makes listening to any audio source (CD, radio, cassettes, MP3 player) a real pleasure. The sound is good, very clear and audible. I just hope it will be as durable as its predecessor.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1629121371310831/k2311a1229/12.29.10