Half-Life (PC game)  » Games  »
  • In short, its an incredible game, even though its old by today's standards, and definitely worth a play-through, even if you don't game very much
  • It gives you a feeling of really being there, and combined with the intensive plot makes the game feel really immersing, despite the old graphics, which impressed me a lot
  • I like that the melee weapon isn't your bog-standard military knife, instead its your average crowbar
  • If you're one of those people who weigh up the pros and cons of something to help you consider buying it, I'm sorry to disappoint you

• by Faustie

Half-Life was one of my first PC gaming experiences. Sure, I’d played games before, but only on friends consoles or just free online games. It was cheap and my friends said good things about it, so I went ahead and bought it. Several hours later, all I could think was ‘WOW’. In short, its an incredible game, even though its old by today’s standards, and definitely worth a play-through, even if you don’t game very much.

One of the main things that I loved about this game was the immersion. Its a first person game, like many nowadays, but you really feel as if you are actually playing the game. My

opinion on cut-scenes varied on how well they portray the story, but I’m happiest if we do without them. It makes the game so much more immersing when you skip the cut-scenes idea, and that’s what Half-Life did. Instead, everything important to the story was done in scripted events which would occur whilst you still had control of your character. It gives you a feeling of really being there, and combined with the intensive plot makes the game feel really immersing, despite the old graphics, which impressed me a lot. Most games nowadays just disappoint me when it comes to this.

Furthermore, the main storyline combined with the action system was something I ...

• really liked. Its still a classic point and shoot, but its excellently done and isn’t based entirely around pulling the trigger on a really big gun. Sometimes the action and storyline are centered around the environment or other characters. I especially liked the puzzles that required you to actually stop and think, which isn’t something you’d see, nor would you expect, in most new games. The story was very original and enjoyable to me, and its obvious that what you have to do in the game will have a huge impact later on, as is discovered in the sequel.

Then there’s all the little things combined together that just puts the icing on

the cake in my mind. I like that the melee weapon isn’t your bog-standard military knife, instead its your average crowbar. I also like that sometimes when you use a weapon it’ll proverbially bite you in the ass, and I especially love the small interactions the non-player-characters have with you and the environment. If you’re one of those people who weigh up the pros and cons of something to help you consider buying it, I’m sorry to disappoint you: I honestly can’t think of any cons. You’ll just have to take my word for it and hope that you’ll enjoy Half-Life as much as I did. I think you will.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2828121371021131/k2311a1228/12.28.10