Guilty Gear Isuka  » Games  »
2.0
  • I found myself wanting to watch the backgrounds rather than the gameplay

• by Tara H.
      I must admit, I’m a Guilty Gear fan. I’ve been a fan since I picked up a used copy of Guilty Gear X from a game shop looking for a starter game for my new PS2 system, but I wish I had put Isuka back on the shelf. Isuka is Guilty Gear’s 4th instalment of the series, but it doesn’t do its praised history any justice.

It’s more of an awkward multi-player fighter. Visually, it’s beautiful.

Its creator,

Ishiwatari, has great talent in his art and outlandish characters. The opening to the game gives you an example of his unique style, but doesn’t compare to the animated opening of Guilty Gear X2.

I have no complaint when it came down to character design, setting and graphics. The simple but detailed 2D graphics never fail.

It’s rare to find high-quality and crisp 2D fighters like Guilty Gear these days. The backgrounds were not dull in anyway.

I ...

• found myself wanting to watch the backgrounds rather than the gameplay. That, regrettably, was the main thing that stood out in the game.

The controls and player modes had been changed, and the change fell flat on its face. In order to turn around, you’ll have to press a button.

This is Isuka’s biggest flaw and makes the gameplay very awkward, many times frustrating. There are two new features, MKII Factory and GG Boost.

In MKII Factory, you

can customize Robo Ky, who has been revamped compared to the domestic Guilty Gear X2 release, while in GG Boost, you go fight through side scrolling levels fighting the Zaku Dan, which didn’t seem like Guilty Gear at all, let alone frustrating when you have 1 against 15. Overall, Isuka will spend its time gathering dust on my shelf.

It will please the newbie browsing for a new game but not the hardcore fan looking for a pick-up of the storyline.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 281103136911031/k2311a0311/3.11.07