Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior perfume
  • The glass is matte so the contents can't be viewed which I'm not a fan of as I like to be able to see how much is remaining when I have used a fragrance
  • What I was most impressed about with this perfume is the final scent that graced my skin once it had settled
  • I think it's certainly a tried and tested formula that obviously works as it has been so popular and stood the test of time due to it's uniqueness
  • It's a very feminine yet sexy scent that draws you in the first time you smell it and seems to suit a wide age range as I know teenagers through to women in their sixties who all wear this well

• by ticktock

Poison Dior for women has been around for many years and was in fact launched way back in 1998 but has been at the forefront of fragrances since then. Amazingly it has been a huge seller this year at the perfume store where I work so it made me want to know why! After testing I purchased a small bottle for myself so here are my thoughts and feelings about the product..

Hypnotic Poison comes housed in a fiery red bottle which looks full of passion and heat, and is perfect packaging really for this particular fragrance. The bottle is rounded with a black lid and has an appearance of being a fruity (forbidden?) red apple. The glass is matte so the contents can’t be viewed which I’m not a fan of as I like to

be able to see how much is remaining when I have used a fragrance. The whole look to be honest is quite outdated, which as it is such a high profile perfume I am surprised it hasn’t had a makeover since it’s launch as it does have a very dated look in comparison with newer perfumes on the market. Looks aside it must have something that makes it so appealing and it could be down to the notes used which are:

Top notes: Allspice, Plum, Apricot and Coconut

Heart notes: Jasmine, Tuberose, Rose, Lily of the valley and Brazilian rosewood

Base notes: Almond, Vanilla and Sandalwood

On first applying this to my skin my nasal passages are hit with such a mixture it’s difficult to distinguish any particular note at first. Given the list of ingredients used,

it does come across as being a bit full on but luckily the creator Annick Menardo seemed to know what they were doing as the combination really does work well together.

The first initial note that comes to mind is the coconut, as it has a freshness about it that’s not overly sweet and it gives the overall scent a fruity tone which works well. After the coconut I can really make out the plum and apricot, which seem much heavier and slightly headier next to the coconut and together they create the perfect balance and give it a more oriental feeling.

When the heart notes start to shine through it is like an explosion of florals and the soft rose is the prettiest and most obvious of all the notes used, followed by the ...

• Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior perfume
      jasmine. I can’t really say I could detect the Lily of the valley or the Brazilian rosewood very much which is disappointing. What I was most impressed about with this perfume is the final scent that graced my skin once it had settled; there was the creamy vanilla and sweet almond base notes which were mixed with the musky sandalwood which sounds good enough on their own, but there was also that lovely fresh coconut from the opening notes that still carried through and lingered for hours.

Would I recommend this? I think it’s certainly a tried and tested formula that obviously works as it has been so popular and stood the test of time due to it’s uniqueness. It’s not a fresh scent at all as you might have guessed, but one which is heavy

and intoxicating. It’s a very feminine yet sexy scent that draws you in the first time you smell it and seems to suit a wide age range as I know teenagers through to women in their sixties who all wear this well.

I like this and I’m glad I bought my own bottle as it suits me for wearing at night time due to it’s heaviness. I like the fact it contains both coconut, almond and vanilla and though they do mix well together I wouldn’t necessarily say it is my most favourite of perfumes, but it certainly bodes well. The EDT comes in a variety of sizes including 50ml and 100ml with prices starting from £45 which for a Christian Dior fragrance is quite reasonable.

Overall it’s a pleasant fragrance but not one I’d rush out to buy.

Lucressia Hoff says :

re : It’s a very feminine yet sexy scent that draws you in the first time you smell it and seems to suit a wide age range as I know teenagers through to women in their sixties who all wear this well
She’s comfortable that her fragrance will lingere in to thruout the day. Morning or night, allow this wearable scent to assist you with the beautiful woman that you are.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5626121368531131/k2311a1226/12.26.10