Jack Russell Terrier  » Pets  »
  • If you are not an active person and do not have the time, space or desire to ensure that you are able to give this dog the exercise he or she needs, I definitely suggest considering an alternative breed of dog
  • However, if you have the time, the space and the desire to exercise and play with this dog, then there is not a breed in the world that I would recommend over a Jack Russell
  • This breed is extraordinarily intelligent and it is amazing to watch and learn all that they are capable of

• by Violet

I have wanted a Jack Russell Terrier since I was a small child, so when I saw one for sale at a pet shop in Massapequa, NY, it was a done deal. I would have preferred to adopt a pet from an animal shelter, but I was unable to find a shelter with a JRT available. The dog was originally priced at $1200, but luckily I was able to get him on sale for $600 due to the fact that he was already five months old.

I was somewhat curious as to why no one had purchased this dog and he had been sitting in the pet shop for almost three months, but he was so absolutely adorable that I fell in love with him immediately and I could not let him sit in that tiny cage for another day. Due to the fact that I had wanted a Jack Russell Terrier for such a long time, I had done some research on the breed. Many people warn against this breed due to their alleged hyperactivity, but I did not listen to those who recommended an alternate breed and I could not be happier that I did listen.

Jack Russells are a very active breed of dog and my JRT is no

exception. However, I am an active person as well and I was not looking for a dog to carry around in my purse and lay around with all day. If you are not an active person and do not have the time, space or desire to ensure that you are able to give this dog the exercise he or she needs, I definitely suggest considering an alternative breed of dog. However, if you have the time, the space and the desire to exercise and play with this dog, then there is not a breed in the world that I would recommend over a Jack Russell.

JRTs have tons of energy and are very active. If you do not give them the exercise they desire and require, they can get aggressive. I have never experienced any aggression from my JRT however, because I do give him the exercise he needs. I live near a school, so in the evening when all the kids are gone from the school I walk my JRT and let him run around in the open field. He has the time of his life running around back there and playing fetch. I also have a large, fenced in backyard where my JRT is able to run around.

Jack Russells are extremely intelligent and extremely affectionate. My JRT learned to sit almost immediately. The first day I brought him home from the pet store I told him to sit, pushed his rear end down and rewarded him with a dog treat. He caught on after the first two trials. Soon after he learned other basic commands such as stay, lay down, fetch, and he is even able to roll over and bark upon command. This breed is extraordinarily intelligent and it is amazing to watch and learn all that they are capable of. They are also very curious and are constantly looking for not only physical stimulation, but mental stimulation as well. My dog watches every move I make, evidencing his inquisitive nature. He was completely housebroken within three weeks. I have heard that you can train these dogs with the wee wee pads, but I recommend taking the dog outside to do his business due to the fact that they need the exercise.

I have never seen a dog act as affectionately as my JRT acts. He is constantly giving me kisses and laying on my lap. When I am watching television, he jumps right up, gives me a kiss and lays down on my lap. He sleeps with me ...

• Jack Russell Terrier
      in my bed and he is never as happy as he is when he is cuddled up right next to me. He shows a great deal of affection to my entire family as well. He is looking to be friends with everyone. He loves not only me, but every member of my family and all of my friends as well. However, as much as he loves my brother, my mother and my father, he knows that I am his mother. If my mother walks into my room and starts yelling, my JRT will become aggressive by growling at her and attempting to chase her out of the room. The ONLY time this dog will show any sign of aggression is when he feels that I am being attacked and acts this way in order to protect me. This breed is very loyal to their owner and will protect him or her at all costs. However, other than this sole scenario, I have never seen him display any sign of aggression at all.

Jack Russells are hunting dogs, used to hunt fox in particular. I have heard that many JRTs are proficient at hunting small woodland creatures such as squirrels and raccoons. However, my Jack Russell has never caught any animals. He

does chase after squirrels and birds but he does this for fun, not to actually catch and kill the animals. Therefore, he does have some of that hunting instinct in him, but he is more interested in having fun above all else.

Jack Russells are great with kids. While my JRT loves playing with just about anyone and gives love and affection to all, he specifically loves playing with kids. My tenant has a six year old son and the two of them will play and run around the yard or the house for hours. It is truly a sight to see. You can easily see that the dog is having the time of his life. This is the perfect dog for a family with small children.

My Jack Russell Terrier is more than just a dog, more than just a pet, he is a part of the family. He is extraordinarily smart and extraordinarily affectionate. He loves everyone and has an adorable way of showing it. Yes, he is a ball of energy but he is also a ball of love. If you have the time and the willingness to give a dog a solid hour of exercise daily and are looking for a loyal companion, a Jack Russell is the perfect dog.

Jack Russell Terrier

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2926121368521131/k2311a1226/12.26.10