University Of Pretoria Olienhout Men’s Residences  » Education  »
Lynwood Road, Hatfield, Pretoria, 0001, Gauteng Province, South Africa
  • Having said that however, it was indeed only the traditions that got to me, like having to greet ‘elders’ in a special way, calling someone who is only two year older than me ‘uncle’ was something I found ridiculous
  • At a cost of around US$1600 per year however, excluding meals, it was a bit expensive for my liking, although I was happy to stay there because it adds a unique cultural experience to the whole varsity life ideal

• by Alexd

I applied to the Olienhout Men’s Residence on recommendation by a high school teacher of mine who had previously studied at the University of Pretoria during her student years, and she was a great admirer of the guys from Olienhout when she was staying at one of the women’s residences.

My teacher’s admiration instilled very high expectations in me and it soon came to me that the cultural difference between her and I would mean a difference

in opinion of the proceedings of the Residence.

As a black person, the Afrikaans tradition followed generally clashed with my normal way of life and belief system and at times it became too much.

Having said that however, it was indeed only the traditions that got to me, like having to greet ‘elders’ in a special way, calling someone who is only two year older than me ‘uncle’ was something I found ridiculous.

As time went on though, it ...

• would be clear that all of that stuff was just part of the initiation process, which lasted about three months, after which we became accepted into the ‘brotherhood’ during the valediction.

Otherwise the food was okay, living conditions were great, as I could bring absolutely anything to make my room feel as homely as possible – from a microwave oven to a television and gaming console.

At a cost of around US$1600 per year however, excluding meals,

it was a bit expensive for my liking, although I was happy to stay there because it adds a unique cultural experience to the whole varsity life ideal.

Even amongst all the distractions that come with the territory, the fact that there is a minimum average of grades that I needed to maintain in order to keep my place at Res, coupled with helpful resources such as a 24-hour computer lab, the environment became conducive to my academic life flourishing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5026121367891031/k2311a1226/12.26.10