Open City Restaurant
2.0
2331 Calvert Street NW, Washington, DC 20008
  • The food and service was nothing but average and the worst part was the dining experience
  • Unfortunately, it was a busy day and there was nothing she could do
  • I decided to try the chicken cheese steak sandwich with french fries
  • I really enjoyed the hot apple cider, but this may be due to the fact that I was so cold at the time
  • I was a little disappointed about our seating, but other than that our waitress was very nice and friendly

• by Jplane

I went to Open City in Woodley Park, Washington DC with a group of friends. We had heard all good things about the restaurant and wanted to try it out for ourselves. Unfortunately, we were a little disappointed. The food and service was nothing but average and the worst part was the dining experience. We were placed in an inclosed room that was technically outdoors. The room had outdoor heaters that were to warm the room up in the very cold weather. The day that we were at the restaurant, it appeared that the heaters were not working correctly. As a result, the

room we were eating in was extremely cold. It was about 28 degrees outside and the room were in was not much warmer than that. We could not take the cold any longer and we asked our waitress if there was anything that could be done. We wanted to either switch to the inside room or we hoped that she could turn up the heaters. Unfortunately, it was a busy day and there was nothing she could do. I was most irritated with the fact that we were not asked if we wanted to sit in the room we were seated in.

The ...

• restaurant seemed like it had a lot of potential because it was in the style of a diner and a cafe but there was also a bar in the restaurant. In addition, they serve breakfast all day long, which is really cool. I decided to try the chicken cheese steak sandwich with french fries. In addition, I had the hot apple cider. I really enjoyed the hot apple cider, but this may be due to the fact that I was so cold at the time. The chicken cheese steak was average, I’ve had better and I’ve had worse. The cheese was not mixed in
        with the chicken, but rather it was on top of the chicken and not fully melted. The food was fairly priced, I payed about 8 or 9 dollars for my sandwich.

The service was OK as well. I was a little disappointed about our seating, but other than that our waitress was very nice and friendly. The food took a while to come out, but again it may be because I was so cold. Overally, I was suggest that if you visit Open City in the winter you ask the hostess to sit inside. Otherwise, just try one of the other great restaurants in the area.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 720121361331231/k2311a1220/12.20.10