LG Quantum smart phone  » Phones  »
  • At the moment I think that this is the only mobile that has a full QWERTY keyboard so let's begin
  • This LG model has a 1 GHz central processing unit, a 3.5 inch display, a five mega pixel camera with flash, but the best feature among them all is the hardware keyboard
  • When I heard that the LG Quantum has a 3.5 inch display I thought that it is a little too small but when I unboxed the phone and turned it on I changed my mind
  • The physical keyboard has four rows and I have to say that it impressed me
  • When it comes to the calling quality and reception of the LG Quantum I can say that it is top notch, I did not experience any call drops or stuff like that

• by Brock

LG Quantum is available now for $200 but let us see if it’s worth the cash. At the moment I think that this is the only mobile that has a full QWERTY keyboard so let’s begin.

This is another Windows 7 phone device on AT&T and it competes with the HTC surround and with the Samsung focus and they both are at the same price with the LG Quantum.

This LG model has a 1 GHz central processing unit, a 3.5 inch display, a five mega pixel camera with flash, but the best feature among them all is the hardware keyboard. On the right side we have the volume adjuster, and the two stage button for camera. On the left side we have a micro USB charging port. We also have a 3.5 mm headphone jack on the top.

When I heard that the LG Quantum has a 3.5 inch display I thought that it is a little too small but when I unboxed the phone and turned it on I changed my mind.

The applications are typical the AT&T that come preinstalled, you get for example: AT&T family map, AT&T my wireless, navigator, radio, Xbox live, Zune, Microsoft office, and LG play.

The on-screen keyboard is a typical Windows 7 keyboard but it is a little bit small, this is understandable because the LG Quantum isn’t that big either. Don’t get me wrong the on screen keyboard is very

usable but it needs more time to get used to it. It is very responsive to the touch, the auto correction tool also works very good.

But why would you buy a LG Quantum if not for the physical keyboard. The physical keyboard has four rows and I have to say that it impressed me.

On the front you have the typical Windows buttons but the back and search buttons are capacitive. The home button is a hardware button. This thing was pretty weird for me but I got used to it very fast. It is nice to see that there are some minor changes from a regular Windows phone.

Other applications are similar. The display is very responsive and even if it is a 3.5 inch display I actually did not notice a very big difference between the LG Quantum, the HTC surround or the Samsung Focus. To be sincere I did not wanted to take the LG Quantum for testing just because of the smaller display, but now that I did, I can say that there is nothing to worry about.

The transition from the portrait mode to the landscape mode or vice versa is done very fast and smooth. Also the scrolling is done very fluid, no lag, or embarrassing stuff like that.

I really appreciated that when you are in your Gmail application, you have explanations for the icons that are on the bottom, you ...

• just have to press on the 3 dots that are positioned near them, and a “drawer” with explanations will pop out. I know that this is not a big deal but small stuff / features like this contribute to building a great mobile device. Even if LG Quantum has lots of features it is very simplistic, I rarely see objects equipped with lots of features that are also easy to use, so this is another thumbs up for the new LG Quantum.

You also have some customization options in Windows phone 7 but there aren’t lots of them if we were to compare it with an Android operating system where you can make special widgets, you can add them on the desktop and things like that.

You can change the dark background to light, change the accent color, and you can change the ring tones and sounds, just like on a regular mobile phone.

The camera has five mega pixels on the LG Quantum, and it is pretty good, at least for an average user, and it does have a flash on the back as well. What I like about the camera is the interface. The pictures are clear the colors also look good so I can not complain about anything. You also have some LG customs settings like: Intelligent shot, Beauty shot, resolution, brightness, white balance. So it is very nice that you get a little bit of

LG customization because rarely you see some of the manufacturer’s customization on a Windows phone.

The browser as I said in many of my other Windows phone 7 reviews is great without a doubt, but I can’t wait for some flash support. The pages load very fast. Pinch to zoom works as on any of the other top Windows phones. At the bottom you have the ability to add favorites, and you can open new tabs.

Downloading apps on the LG Quantum is again very easy.

The programs are all very nice, they work very fluid, but too bad that the LG Quantum can’t multi task.

The calendar is very simple as well, you can scroll between day and agenda and all the sections are straight forward.

Another thing that I liked about the LG Quantum was its good battery life having a 1500 mAh battery.

I really like the People icon because it is dynamic so if you have pictures of your contacts they will appear on the small squares that are on the icon and you can watch the icon while it is showing different pictures.

When it comes to the calling quality and reception of the LG Quantum I can say that it is top notch, I did not experience any call drops or stuff like that.

So there you have it, the LG Quantum, a great quality smart phone, that is very easy to work with, and it also has a decent price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3717121360920831/k2311a1217/12.17.10