HTC Surround mobile phone  » Phones  »
  • Another interesting thing about this phone’s design is that we have a kickstand on the back
  • I enjoyed the camera interface that automatically shows you the last pictures that you have taken which is very nice
  • I played NFS on it and I was more than impressed with the HTC surround’s performance
  • I recommend that when you are playing to slide out the speakers and make sure that the Dolby noise reduction is turned on so you can get the best gaming experience that the phone can deliver
  • I have to admit that I was surprised that a device that you can stick in your pocket is capable to offer such a great experience

• by Brock

This is a review of the smart phone HTC surround, more precisely this is a Windows 7 smart phone and you can get it from AT&T. In the last two weeks interestingly we only had for testing or more exactly using Windows 7 phones, it looks like the winter of 2010 is owned by Windows 7 mobile phones.

By now you would think that this is just another Windows 7 smart phone, nothing special but you would be wrong because the HTC surround gets its name from the speakers that slide out instead of a hardware keyboard. You can also control the Dolby SRS surround. Of course that this speaker is louder and more clear than a usual one.

Taking a look at the design of the HTC surround you will see that it has a larger than usual earpiece, on the bottom there are the capacitive touch buttons which are the standard ones for a Windows 7 Smart phone. I really liked the volume adjusters. I also like the back case of the HTC surround because it isn’t glossy so it will not retain any smudges or dust.

On the back you will also find the five mega pixel camera with LED flash and a regular speaker. On the bottom you will find the micro USB port, and on the top of the HTC you will find next to the power button the

3.5 mm stereo jack and a stereo ear bud is included in the box.

Another interesting thing about this phone’s design is that we have a kickstand on the back. Now this isn’t the first HTC model that has a kickstand, the HTC HD7 had it too, and I have to say that I really appreciate this small but useful feature.

The HTC surround it has a 3.8 inch screen and it looks more vivid than other HTC models that are placed in this price range but it’s not as nice as an AMOLED display.

Also in terms of design the HTC surround is a little bit thicker because of its speakers, but nothing to worry about.

The Windows 7 software is the same on all of these devices, you are not going to get more than a few carrier customized items. What I really liked was the Facebook interface. Also the mail client looks extremely good. The music and video player are great too, also we have an FM radio which I have to mention that it is built-in to all Microsoft Windows 7 phones. Of course we also have access to the Zune marketplace.

As with all Windows phones you can tap and hold on a tile to remove it if you want, you can pin everything up to 256 of them.

Now to be sincere the first thing that I have tried ...

• on the HTC surround was the sound quality because I was curious if the sliding speakers deliver or not. The first impression that the speakers made was that they are very loud at least for a smart phone so if you want to listen to the music without headphones then the HTC surround is the one you should buy.

I find that the HTC surround is more intended for youngsters that like to share their music with their friends.

About the performance of this phone there is nothing really much to say because all of the Windows 7 phones are really fast and they all are equipped with same 1 GHz Snapdragon central processor unit. The HTC surround also has 576 MB of RAM and 16 GB of built-in storage and I have to say that the memory is not expandable.

I also like the HTC surround’s camera which focuses very fast in a normal light condition. I enjoyed the camera interface that automatically shows you the last pictures that you have taken which is very nice. The controls of the camera are the standard ones and that is it. The HTC surround can also shoot 720p videos. When it comes to the overall camera quality I tend to say that it is average but it is better than other HTC models that are in this price range. Basically it’s an okay camera.

Browsing the

Internet is a joy, rendering is pretty good and it is pretty speedy. But I would have liked it to support flash and HTML 5. Also I liked the browser because it supports multiple tabs.

One thing that I didn’t like was that in landscape mode there are no controls so you have to go back in portrait mode.

The on-screen keyboard is also great being very responsive. Scrolling and pinch zooming are also very responsive.

I have also tried the Xbox live feature. Most games that are available for download are priced in the range of two 2.99 and 4.99 bucks. I played NFS on it and I was more than impressed with the HTC surround’s performance. I absolutely loved the controls that you have when you are playing. I recommend that when you are playing to slide out the speakers and make sure that the Dolby noise reduction is turned on so you can get the best gaming experience that the phone can deliver. I have to admit that I was surprised that a device that you can stick in your pocket is capable to offer such a great experience.

At this moment you can buy the HTC surround at $199 with contract from AT&T.

In conclusion the HTC surround is one of the nicest gadgets that I have tested and used in the past two months because it offers great features like the sliding speakers along with a great quality at a decent price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3717121359911231/k2311a1217/12.17.10