Kroger Death by Chocolate Ice Cream  » Food  »
3.8
  • I think the chocolate ice cream provides a nice, reasonably rich and smooth flavor
  • So while I would say the ice cream is definitely tasty, I wouldn’t say the name of it is entirely appropriate
  • I thought that this was a little too mild in the chocolate department to be worthy of the name Death by Chocolate
  • That said, I like it and will definitely buy it again

• by sarahanne

Like any chocolate fan, I had to check out Kroger store brand Death by Chocolate Ice Cream when I saw it in the freezer in my local Kroger store. In general, there is no standard way to make or recipe for Death by Chocolate desserts, so I was curious what Kroger was going to do with this label.

The most important thing to me for a dessert labeled Death by Chocolate is

that when I eat it, I should be overwhelmed with the taste of chocolate.

The ice cream is available in half-gallon containers and is basically chocolate ice cream with roasted almonds.

I think the chocolate ice cream provides a nice, reasonably rich and smooth flavor.

Overall, I really like the chocolate flavor of this dessert, though I would not characterize it as overpowering at all.

It’s just a little bit richer than ...

• some standard chocolate ice creams I have tasted before.

I also like the contrasting texture of the chocolate-covered roasted almonds, which provide crunch, richness, and sweetness to the ice cream.

So while I would say the ice cream is definitely tasty, I wouldn’t say the name of it is entirely appropriate.

I would think Death by Chocolate would include not only chocolate ice cream but chocolate chips or chunks and swirls of

fudge running through the ice cream, or something more elaborate.

I thought that this was a little too mild in the chocolate department to be worthy of the name Death by Chocolate.

That said, I like it and will definitely buy it again.

This ice cream provides 160 calories and 8 grams of fat per serving, so for anyone who is watching their calories and fat intake, it’s important not to overindulge!

Breland says :

re : So while I would say the ice cream is definitely tasty, I wouldn’t say the name of it is entirely appropriate
    More chocalate would go a long way in helping this ice cream live up to it’s name. Either a hint of chocalate syrup or chocalate swirl would be devine.

stephanie muniz says :

Ive tried another brand of death by chocolate ice cream and it had chocolate ice cream(obvious),fudge swirls,chocolate chunks and brownie pieces so delicious.No chocolate covered almonds.

Kay Miller says :

This is the best “Death by Chocolate” dessert I ever had Too many times Death by Chocolate ice creams, desserts cakes are either too rich or too sweet, just overdone messes. This is a delicious dark chocolate ice cream with lots of good cocoa flavor, chocolate covered almonds brownie chunks I believe. My only complaint is apart from reading the long list of ingredients, the carton does not describe what’s in this ice cream. I would buy this again highly recommend it

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2716121359501131/k2311a1216/12.16.10