Kingdom Hearts 2 For PS2  » Games  »
  • A different, but equaling interesting twist to the gameplay was that you can have the character from the world you are in join you in the fighting as part of your team
  • Yet, the only one who I found was very effective was Genie
  • It’s a video game, I know, but it still confuses me
  • To follow in the direction of the first game, I liked that the worlds were still accessable even after you played through them to gain more experience points and gain different abilities

• by sarahdragon26

Was anyone else a little confused at the beginning of Kingdom Hearts II? Show of hands? I know I was. I didn’t play Chain of Memories because, at the time, it wasn’t out on the PS2, which it is now. I just jumped right into the second game and wondered if I had missed something along the way. Maybe a part I skipped over by accident. I wasn’t sure who this Roxas was and what happened to Sora. The opening movie explained a little that something had happened, but what that was didn’t make sense. I didn’t like that there was no plain explanation about what happened. Even during the game, it’s not completely clear about what happened to Sora and his best friend, Riku during the time between the games. Even thou when you see Riku again, it is very clear that something had happened between the end of the first and beginning of the second.

Like the first game, the beginning and ending movies looked so real and the song, Sanctuary, was again just prefect. It provided the proper feeling that needed to be portrayed for the opening and closing movies; strong, passionate, and like an ending to the story. The gameplay graphics were a step up from the first game, but

still impressive. This song, again like the first game song, is one of my favorite songs ever.

The storyline continues by bringing back our favorite Final Fantasy characters like Yuffie, Cid, Cloud, Squall, etc. And the Disney characters like Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, Belle, Ariel, etc. And many are still the same voices, which just makes it even more enjoyable. It was a nice touch when they added in newer Disney characters such as Captain Jack Sparrow (not voiced by Johnny Depp, sadly), Jack Skeleton, and Mulan, allowing Sora to fight also side them to defeat their enemies. I was actually laughing at Captain Sparrow’s game performance. They really captured his movie mannerisms for the game. And I had always wanted to visit Halloween Town. I’m glad I got my wish.

A different, but equaling interesting twist to the gameplay was that you can have the character from the world you are in join you in the fighting as part of your team. They bring their own style to fighting, which can be effective or just really showy. My personal favorite fighting movies are the combo attacks that you can do with these characters, making fighting a hard enemy, a little easier. Such an example is ...

• Riku and Sora do a really powerful swinging attack with their keyblades, Jack Skeleton and Sora got a scary dance with fireworks, and Beast packs quite a punch when combined with Sora’s keyblade. And to keep with the tradition of the first game, I still had the ability to call on other characters. Yet, the only one who I found was very effective was Genie. The rest of mainly for show for what I can see. I did like to call on Stitch because he was so cute, but he wasn’t very effective against most enemies.

And what where would this game be without Disney villains? Thought Maleficent was dead? Think again. She returns, but even for being so evil, she actually helps out our heroes towards the end of the game. That was very strange to me, for she is the evilest of evil. And yes, the enemy was a really bad guy, someone who would be thought of more evil then the Mistress of Blackness herself, but she still helps them. That confuses me because it doesn’t keep with the character that Disney had built about her over the years. It’s a video game, I know, but it still confuses me.

To follow in the direction of the first game, I

liked that the worlds were still accessable even after you played through them to gain more experience points and gain different abilities. Flying to each world is now much easier in this second installment then the first. There were fewer paths you had to play through to get to where you wanted to go. Mind you, there are fewer worlds then in the first game as well. But in Kingdom Hearts 2, Sora visits each world twice in the storyline, for a more detailed story about each place and helping each character in their struggles.

I could detail the reasons why this game is a must for pages and pages, but there is something I didn’t like and I have to say it. Just like with the Kingdom Hearts 1, there was a Final Mix released with extra scenes and more details into what happened in Riku in the darkness, but only in JAPAN!!!! Why?!! I still don’t understand it. Why not here in the States?! I would have loved to play that version game.

As in any game, does this have replay value? OH YES!! I have upgraded to PS3, but still love my PS2 classics. Give this game a try. If you’re a Disney or Final Fantasy fan, it will be great!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2816121359341131/k2311a1216/12.16.10