Neir: PS3 Game
1.0
  • I had seen the game by chance and when I saw it was made by Square, I thought it must be a great game if Square made it
  • And when it came to the ending fight, the main character must fight himself or at least that is what I believe he is fighting
  • There really is no other word to describe how boring and unimaginative the ending was
  • More like she was trying too hard to bad-ass and that worked against her in my opinion
  • I would not even recommend renting this game, let alone buying it

• by sarahdragon26

When I first heard about Nier, there was only thing that recommended it. It’s developer, Square Eqnix. I had seen the game by chance and when I saw it was made by Square, I thought it must be a great game if Square made it. I was very disappointed.

The game had excellent graphics and gameplay, as one would expect from a company with Square’s reputation, but all other expectations went right out the window when it came to everything else about the game. It was a horrible game.

I was really hoping for an in-depth storyline that would explain a different kind of people and places that defy the imagination. What I got was a very linear world that had almost nothing to offer in ways of a storyline or a plot. And if anyone could explain the beginning to me, I would be surprised that anyone at all understood it. The game begins with the main character protecting his daughter who has things written on her body and the world is covered in snow. I assumed the world had come to end, and later, at least that one theory had been confirmed, in a way. You learn that something destroyed our civilization as we know it and

kind of sent us back to a stone age type of world. And that is confirmed by different things seen and found as your character explores the very, very tiny world he inhabits. From ruined and throwing apart elevated train tracks to old junk yard with machines and cars in them.

I am a person who loves the complex storylines with great details and tons of information, but this game just provided information that went nowhere. There were slight explanations about why people were getting sick, not really about what was causing it. And when it came to the ending fight, the main character must fight himself or at least that is what I believe he is fighting. The whole concept behind this game reminds me of Kingdom Hearts where you lose something of yourself and a shadow monster appears. Like Kingdom Hearts has the Heartless, these are shadow creatures. And the ending does provide something. Massive Confusion! I was amazed that it’s ending was just so BLAH! There really is no other word to describe how boring and unimaginative the ending was. And after that, you can play as the two other characters who have joined you during the course of the game. And those missions were even ...

• shorter than the first. I always felt bad for Emil, that he had changed into that monster. He was such a sweet kid, so innocent. I was beyond amazed with the female character, Kaine. And it wasn’t her clothing that had me amazed. This is a Japanese game and there are certain things to be expected of clothing on female characters. Normally, they have very little clothing on. It was how Kaine spoke during the game. It seemed like even other word out of her mouth, was the f* word. I had never played a single Square game when they had their characters talk like that. It just had me shocked. And it didn’t even give the feeling that they must have been trying to get across about her. Tough, fast-mouthed, doesn’t take any crap. More like she was trying too hard to bad-ass and that worked against her in my opinion.

As the game went on, there was plenty of dialogue, but 90 percent of it was written, not spoken. Again, another surprise from Square that employs some of the best voice talents. I felt like I was reading a book at some parts of the game. All dialogue and no vocals. I play video games for the

vocals, the storyline, and the gameplay. If I want to read a book, I’ll pick one up.

The music and the graphics were the best things about this game, but that wasn’t enough to save it. After completing this game in just over a week, I looked at my husband and asked if that was it. Was that really all they had to give to this game? It felt like they had just decided on a title, slapping some ideas of a table and spun a bottle to see which ones they were going to use. As I said before, I was severely disappointed in this game. I was expecting to be WOWed. Instead, I was just annoyed and disappointed.

Is there any replay value? NO! I had to force myself to finish it the first time, to see the endings because that’s what it came down to. I only wanted to see the endings, not play the game anymore. There are some people who would say I’m being too harsh, but play Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts and then play this game. You will understand exactly how I feel. I would not even recommend renting this game, let alone buying it. I felt cheated by renting it from Gamefly.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2816121359031131/k2311a1216/12.16.10