“When in Rome” (2010 Film)
  • But let me just say now that I was not very impressed with this film
  • It was funny, but I think that was more because of the faces that the characters made in certain parts of the movie, not because any of them were actually saying things that I found comedic
  • I did not find it very entertaining, I thought it was a little ridiculous actually
  • I would not recommend this film to anyone who is looking for something funny to watch in their spare time

• by Susanna Frank

“When in Rome” the 2010 film starring Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel, seemed like it would be a really fun romantic comedy to watch. But let me just say now that I was not very impressed with this film. It was funny, but I think that was more because of the faces that the characters made in certain parts of the movie, not because any of them were actually saying things that I found comedic. Sadly, I don’t think that this film really matched the skills of the actors in it and it left me feeling as though I had wasted an good chunk of my day by watching this film.

Kristen Bell plays a hopeless romantic girl named Beth who is going to Rome for her sister’s wedding. She meets Nick (Josh

Duhamel) and after being let down by a crush, she proceeds to steal coins from a fountain in Rome. It turns out, that when she steals the coins she is really stealing the love of those who had originally tossed the coins into the fountain. This leads her to be skeptical of Nick’s affection and pursuing of her as a love interest because she has other men following her around New York thinking that they love her. She thinks that one of the coins she stole, which is really a poker chip, is Nick’s and gives it back to him along with the other coins she had stolen (giving those back to who they belong to). He is still in love with her and they go to Rome to get married. One ...

• of the men who had thought he loved Beth comes to her before the wedding and gives her the real poker chip that he had mistakenly taken during his magic trick, she gives the poker chip back to Nick at the alter and runs to the fountain where she makes a scene in front of millions of people, telling the statue that it turned her life upside down. Nick finds her and tells her and asks why she keeps giving him the poker chips back, when all along they didn’t belong to him, they belonged to the priest who was going to wed them.

I don’t understand why should would steal the coins in the first place unless she was absolutely desperate for love. And then, after giving the chip back to Nick

the first time, having it come up again for her to give back to him seemed like it was just a way to draw out the film. I did not find it very entertaining, I thought it was a little ridiculous actually. I have nothing against the actors, but I really think that this film did not do any of them justice. If it was a little funnier I think that it might have made up for the poor plot of the film, but it honestly wasn’t.

I would not recommend this film to anyone who is looking for something funny to watch in their spare time. It was not a very good story line and got a little drawn out towards the end and a little pointless. I recommend finding something else on movie night.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1116121359021131/k2311a1216/12.16.10