The Twilight Saga: New Moon Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (CD)
  • If I thought the Twilight soundtrack was great, the soundtrack for the second installment was ten times greater

• by Victoria Durm

If I thought the Twilight soundtrack was great, the soundtrack for the second installment was ten times greater. This soundtrack had a very indie feel about it. It almost felt as if it belonged in the first movie, to match how that movie felt. Anyway, I digress.

There was a return of Muse, with a whole song called “I Belong To You”. Matt Bellamy reminds us that love is often a difficult thing. It is especially hard when the person you love does not return your feelings. I tend to think of this as Jacob Black’s song to Bella.

This CD introduced me to some new artists as well. There are some I liked, and some I wasn’t so crazy about. I really liked Florence and

the Machine. The lead singer has an amazingly strong voice. She sort of reminded me of Melissa Ethridge because of it. The song, “Heavy In Your Arms” is probably a song I would not have liked otherwise, I’ll admit. It has a much heavier tone than I normally listen to.

That brings me to another point about the music in this movie. 90% of the songs on the CD are songs that I would not listen to normally. However, the songs were picked just right, and were not too hard, and not too light. They fit the tone of the movie perfectly.

“Possibility” by Lykke Li is great example of song placement. It was used during the transition period where Bella was dealing with Edward’s departure.

• The lyrics fit the mood of the scene great. I am very impressed. It would be the only real song that fit in the movie at the right place. Others were seemingly placed wrong.

One of my absolutely favorite songs of the soundtrack, “The Violet Hour”, is terribly misplaced in the movie. However, when I’m listening to it myself, without watching the movie, it just makes me so happy. The tune is undeniably addictive, and the lyrics are easy to learn. I have found myself going around the house and singing it without actually having it playing.

Another wonderful track is the last track on the CD. It is more a score. It was written by the movie’s composer, Alexanndre Desplat. It is called “New

Moon (The Meadow)”. I have often said that this song should have been categorized as “Bella’s Lullaby” instead of Carter Burwell’s score. The melody is beautiful, and soothing. I am known, when I am sad, and upset, to put this song on repeat on my Ipod, and let myself drift to sleep. It is the perfect love song without lyrics, and I thank Desplat for bringing it to us.

I daresay that I really do enjoy this CD a lot more than the first soundtrack. I have been listening to it consistently since it’s release! I have to give the music coordinators of the Twilight movies credit. They really do know how to assemble a great compilation of music for fans to enjoy and explore.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1416121358821031/k2311a1216/12.16.10