Hedgehogs as Pets
  • I did a bunch of research before I bought mine
  • The first thing I noticed about my hedgehog is that he has his very own personality

• by Victoria Durm

Hedgehogs make wonderful pets. They are fun to watch on their wheel, and they can be incredibly gentle. My hedgehog and I have been happy together since October of 2009.

The hedgehog makes a great first pet for a child of ten or eleven. They are easy to care for, and fun to play with, if handled correctly. I did a bunch of research before I bought mine. It is not a bad idea for potential owners to do the same.

The first thing I noticed about my

hedgehog is that he has his very own personality. This is true of most hedgehogs. They can either be really anti-social, or very social. Thankfully, my hedgehog is social enough.

They are also easy to feed. They will eat almost anytihng you feed them. I have tried my own on cat food, apples, turkey, and peanut butter. He will eat it all. This makes them very easy to keep healthy.

One drawback to the hedgehog is they are night owls. I am not a night person, so sometimes,

• there is a conflict of interest between myself, and my hedgehog. However, I have found a way around it. I wear earplugs to keep the excess noise of his wheel from disturbing my sleep. It has worked for the most part.

I have not regretted the purchase of my hedgehog. Having said that, I do wish that they would become more common so that food would be easier to access. While they do eat whatever you give them, their own special food costs an arm and a leg

to buy. It’s been difficult for me to find the food in my local pet stores, too, so that doesn’t help.

I would suggest a hedgehog to anyone who is looking for a truly unique pet or companion. They get along with any animal. We have five cats, and they all get along just find with my hedgehog. The most that happens is they hiss at him. That’s the end of it. If you are a person with multiple pets, a hedgehog is perfect for that extra intrigue in your household.

Hedgehogs as Pets

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2915121357860931/k2311a1215/12.15.10