Natural Radiance DHEA Unscented Topical Creme 2 oz  » Health  »
1.5
  • I think this is something that has enough dangerous potential side effects, that it should probably be prescription only, or at the least, regulated by the FDA

• by reviewabit

I became interested in DHEA when I heard that it was being used as a potential treatment for lupus. There has been some suspicion for years that I may have the disease, but no clear diagnosis was ever made. I did actually try an oral DHEA supplement once, to see if it had any effect on my symptoms. I concluded that it did not, and in the end I did not really feel comfortable with the warnings given about the product that it could increase the risk of breast cancer and liver damage, so I stopped taking it.

I did note some moderate increase in energy levels when I started taking it, but I never could decide if that was coincidental or not. Later on, I saw that there was a topical version of the supplement

and I read it could help with adrenal insufficiency, obesity, and skin aging among other things, and I wondered if the topical version would be safer. To make a long story short, it’s not.

Whatever is absorbed transdermally can have the same effects as the oral supplement. I ordered this product without really giving it thorough research time. I had just assumed a topical version would be benign.

It was silly of me really– if the systemic side effects weren’t going to happen with a topical, then neither would the systemic desired effects, which would defeat the purpose of using it. I do have my not-so-smart moments. Anyway, I did try it for about a month.

I used it in very small amounts. It hit me just how “not benign” this could ...

• be when I saw the instructions to measure very carefully when I used it. I also soon learned of some other side effects I hadn’t heard about– increased acne and facial hair.

This alarmed me a bit because I already had some wild hairs on my chin from time to time and I certainly didn’t want them getting worse. I could not tell any difference in them after using the cream so I guess I lucked out on that one. Like the first time I used DHEA with the oral supplement, I could not tell much of a difference with the cream either.

I did not notice my energy level changing like before. I didn’t lose any weight, or increase muscle mass. I didn’t have any effects to my immune system and I did not

have any difference in my facial skin.

As before, I eventually stopped because I was just plain scared of the stuff. I think this is something that has enough dangerous potential side effects, that it should probably be prescription only, or at the least, regulated by the FDA. As far as I am aware, its not, so how do we really know the dosage we are getting in this cream formula? I have no reason to distrust the brand, but when a product produces little or no result, who knows how to rate the quality? Maybe it just doesn’t work for me.

I’d have to say, if you are going to experiment with DHEA, it’s probably best to do it under supervision. I hope it does more for you than it did for me– because the risk is significant.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3415121357450931/k2311a1215/12.15.10