Clairol Nice ‘n Easy Root Touch-Up 5 Medium Brown  » Health  »
  • I decided to try this root touch up kit rather than using my regular all over color
  • Although it is not a Clairol product that I normally color my hair with, I thought this should match up pretty well, based on what I saw on the box
  • I would definitely consider using it again if I didn’t want all over color
  • In general I think this is a good product, but it needs a bit of tweaking

• by reviewabit

I decided to try this root touch up kit rather than using my regular all over color. I was hoping to spare the ends of my hair any further chemical damage from the ammonia. Although it is not a Clairol product that I normally color my hair with, I thought this should match up pretty well, based on what I saw on the box. I was about two weeks over due for a color touch up, and did not want to go to the salon for a touch up since that is very expensive.

There are pros and cons to this product. First– the pros. It’s made by Clairol, and they are a reputable company with decades of expertise in hair color products.

I have generally had good results with their other products in the

past. The color of this product did match my color fairly well, and there is no noticeable line between the root touch up color and the all over color. The product was not very expensive, and it was pretty easy to mix and use.

I mixed and applied it all within thirty minutes, and with no mess at all. It wasn’t too drippy, and it came with a brush which made it much easier to apply. It gave 100% gray coverage, as it claimed it would.

I would definitely consider using it again if I didn’t want all over color. The cons– there are not many color varieties to choose from. The varieties just cover the basic groups of color.

Fortunately, mine is a common color which matches easily, but if I were using ...

• an auburn shade, or some other more complex color, it might be harder to get an accurate match. Another con– there is a very small amount of product in the box. Granted, it is only intended for use on the roots, but still, if you have very thick hair you might still need more for your roots than what they give you per package.

I have thinning hair, and it just barely was enough to cover mine. The ammonia smell is very strong. Oddly, it bothered me more than the all-over hair color I use, which is ammonia based– and I use a much larger quantity of that at once.

I actually found myself walking away to try and get fresh air while using this because I felt like I was choking and my eyes

were burning! That normally only happens in the salon. There is no conditioner in the box. I have become accustomed to using the little tubes of conditioner every time I color my hair, because it makes it feel like hair again.

I would think they could at least give a little sample, if not the full tube they give with their all over color products. The ammonia formula is rough on your hair, even if it is just the roots. It’s a toss up for me, as to whether I would buy this again, or just get the all over color and use it as a touch up.

It would be wasteful, but I would get the conditioner that way. In general I think this is a good product, but it needs a bit of tweaking.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3415121357380831/k2311a1215/12.15.10