The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer  » Books  »
  • The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer is probably one of the best Young Adult series I have read in a long time
  • I think that made Bella a very likable character for me
  • I really enjoyed the aftermath research I did after the fact

• by Victoria Durm

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer is probably one of the best Young Adult series I have read in a long time. It’s been a while since I have read the individual books, so I am going to talk about the series as a whole.

The first thing anyone should understand about Twilight is that it is not just the characters that attracts the reader. The storytelling is amazing. Meyer tells the story with earnest, and honesty. You can tell from reading each book that she is just as excited about the story she is tellling as the readers are.

Locations are described to a tee in these books. After I read the series, I did some research, and found out that Forks, Washington looks exactly as it did we imagined it to look from Meyer’s description. It is unbelievable the lengths she went to make sure every detail was accurate to the letter.

The characters, of

course are the center of the story. I loved how she had Bella so human. There was no perfection. She wasn’t the most popular girl in the school, and she most certainly was not conceited. I think that made Bella a very likable character for me. She reminded me al ot of myself.

Edward and his family are not your typical vampires either, which helped. I have never been a fan of the vampire genre. In fact, I was very much werewolf. But Meyer made it okay to fall in love with her vampires. I was particularly fond of Jasper Whitlock. He appealed to me because of the story he lived. The back story of Jasper is told in the third installment,Eclipse.

That was another thing. Meyer didn’t just tell us the present day story of the Cullens. We also found out their back stories. While some characters got more attention than the others, each story ...

• was essential to the plot of the whole saga. Meyer does this very skillfully. I have been aspiring to do the same with my own writing because of her.

I think the most intriguing thing about Meyer’s story with the Twilight Saga is that she was a raw writer. She didn’t use any preconceptions of vampires. And with her werewolves, she used true Quileute lore. The Quiluete lore is fascinating! I really enjoyed the aftermath research I did after the fact. Meyer offered me more things to explore because of her accuracy. This is something I will never be able to repay her for.

Even though I shower all of this praise on the series, there were some things I could have done without. One of them being the way she chose to wrap up the final installment, Breaking Dawn. That book had many issues, though I still found it enjoyable overall.

The biggest fault

was the build up of tension, then the let down as it didn’t pan out the way one would have expected it to. Meyer makes up for this with witty dialouge from the characters. In fact, my favorite part of that book in general was the last part between Bella and Jasper. It was a nice way to wrap up the tension that was there.

Last year, Meyer added a Novella to the saga. It was a book that went between New Moon and Eclipse. It was a good, short read. It drew me in just as the rest of the books had. I am hoping that Meyer will continue to write at least short stories for the series characters, becuase they are some of the strongest characters I have read in a long time, and I have visited their world over and over in various ways since the very first time I picked up Twilight.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1715121357110831/k2311a1215/12.15.10