“Red Eye”: The Movie Directed by Wes Craven  » Movies  »
  • All the same, I believe “Red Eye” is another worthwhile Wes Craven film
  • In this movie, the first movie I truly noticed him in, I could barely hear his accent
  • However, given the movie’s darker nature, I only recommend this movie to people who enjoy dark psychological thrillers

• by Amor Fati

When I first saw “Red Eye” my junior year in college, I was enamored. The plot revolved around a woman, named Lisa Reisert, who must cooperate in an assassination to save her father. Jackson Rippner, her kidnapper, found her uncooperative. In the end, Lisa proved her strength and saved everyone. Today, I find the storyline a little too dark and slightly feminist for my taste. All the same, I believe “Red Eye” is

another worthwhile Wes Craven film.

Cillian Murphy, who played Jackson Rippner, does creepy well. Given his naturally bright-blue eyes and prominent cheekbones, he looks slightly like the typical villain. In this movie, the first movie I truly noticed him in, I could barely hear his accent. Only twice did he slip and I could hear his traditional Irish tongue. He also acts fairly well. He tends to overemphasize his actions some. But, other than this, his intense stare and nonchalant tone intimidate viewers.

Rachel McAdams, who played Lisa Reisert, did a fabulous job as the kidnapped woman who refused to be used to assassinate a politician. Her fear and grief appeared real, as did her determination to escape and save both her father and the politician. I could not help but cringe at some her more feminist comments near the end of the movie, though this is the ...

fault of the screenwriter, not McAdams. Additionally, they were in response to some of the rather sexist comments Rippner made earlier in the film.

Over half the movie was filmed in an airplane, yet this did not detract from the story. Wes Craven merely proved thrillers do not need constant movement and action. True thrillers are psychological. Thankfully, the screenwriter and Craven did a well enough job that the somewhat subpar costuming and screenshots

did not negatively impact the storyline. Lastly, the music was decent for a thriller, but for nothing else.

The movie includes some funny lines, including when the teenage boys find out where the pen disappeared to (in Rippner’s neck). However, given the movie’s darker nature, I only recommend this movie to people who enjoy dark psychological thrillers. While Wes Craven did a job well done, this is not a movie for the masses.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1113121354650931/k2311a1213/12.13.10