Movie: Vampires Suck  » Movies  »
  • I was impressed with the jokes, and the fact that most of the humor was not disrespectful to the authors of the novels
  • In my opinion, this is what made the movie for me
  • For someone who hasn't read the books or seen the movies, I think this movie would be a waste
  • Other than that, this movie was well worth the money I paid to see it in theaters

• by Victoria Durm

The movie Vampires Suck is probably the funniest movie I have seen in a long time. It is a direct spoof of all the teen vampire movies and books that have been released due to the Twilight Saga phenomenon.

There are a lot of “in-jokes” for the fans, and other crude jokes for those who are not such big fans. The majority of the humor is crude, and “wrong”, but that’s what makes it great.

The writing was clever. They picked some of the more notable scenes from the Twilight movies, and names from some of the better known vampire genre,

and threw them together to make a complete comedy stew.

I was impressed with the jokes, and the fact that most of the humor was not disrespectful to the authors of the novels. In my opinion, this is what made the movie for me. The tasteless jokes about Stephenie Meyer were nowhere to be seen or heard.

However, that was not the case for Alice in Wonderland and the Jonas Brothers. The writers took shots at them. They were brief shots, but these moments added to the hilarity. While these weren’t the only pop culture references, they were the most memorable.

• I have to give props to the casting director as well. Casting people that look similar or just like the original cast of the Twilighht movies was a brilliant move on their parts. It was easy to tell that they were deliberately cast for their looks.

One of my favorite parts of the movie is towards the end when they take roll-on-the-floor-laughing shots at the fandom for Twilight. Having representation of Team Edward and Team Jacob just cracked me up. Thankfully, I am not as crazed as most of the Twilight fandom.

Fortunately for me, I have read the books. I

got most of the in jokes they put out there. For someone who hasn’t read the books or seen the movies, I think this movie would be a waste. That would be the only drawback. They needed to make this movie a bit more viewer friendly for those who might not have read or seen the series it is parodying.

Other than that, this movie was well worth the money I paid to see it in theaters. I am looking forward to owning it on DVD in the future. I hope the sequel is going to be as good as the first movie was.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1113121354240931/k2311a1213/12.13.10