Alnix (cetirizine) Antihistamine 10mg tablet  » Medicine  »
2.5
  • Now, I have not had any other allergies besides the one in my nose, so I have no experience with other antihistamine drugs at all
  • In my honest opinion I think this medication really works to relieve my allergic rhinitis symptoms, but I would never take this medication again because I felt so drowsy I felt that my day was wasted because of its effects
  • Definitely not for people who are driving or who need to operate machinery

• by tabs

I have been suffering from year round Allergic Rhinitis. This time since I could not bear it any longer because the symptoms are getting worse, I finally decided to go to the doctor and get this over and done with.

Upon checking me up, the doctor prescribed a nasal spray that I have already previously reviewed. This time I will be reviewing the adjunct medication that he has given me. He gave me a small tablet named Alnix. Alnix is a brand name of the generic antihistamine drug, cetirizine. Now, I have not had any other allergies besides the one in my nose, so I have no experience with other antihistamine drugs at all. I have never taken any of them until now.

Alnix brand is a little costly. One tablet contains 10mg of cetirizine. One tablet costs around $0.50 or around Php25. Alnix works to combat symptoms

of allergic rhinitis like frequent sneezing, itchy nose, watery eyes; also for allergic conjunctivitis; skin itches and rashes. I was prescribed to take it only once per day, preferably before going to bed. This medication can be taken with or without food, so it’s good that I don’t have to worry about having an empty stomach or having something to eat before taking it. Side effects include drowsiness and fatigue.

So I took one before going to bed around 11pm. Since I was already sleepy anyway, I did have a nice, long sleep until the next morning. When I woke up it was already 10am. Normally I would wake up at 9am and jumpstart my day. However this time, when I woke up, I felt so tired and groggy even after an hour past my normal waking hours. I should be feeling better, stronger or even ...

• more rested but no, I felt as if I ran a 42 km marathon. I felt really, really tired. My eyes were tired of having been closed for a longer time than usual. I was actually concerned that I needed to get up but then I felt so tired and sleepy I had to drag myself out of bed and take a shower.

After taking that shower I went downstairs for breakfast but felt like I was still dreaming. This medication felt like I took alcohol and was buzzed. It was really terrible. Yes, it did relieve my allergic rhinitis symptoms. In fact, my nose did not have the usual drippiness that happens in the morning every time I get up. I guess this was highly effective as an antihistamine.

So I felt like a walking zombie, very unproductive the whole day until about 4pm. I tried

to take naps to feel better but I am so not used to sleeping in the daytime so I had to live with just closing my eyes on the bed and just making myself fall asleep when I just could not. It was terrible. Around 4pm in the afternoon I guess the effects started to wear off so I felt awake and alive again.

In my honest opinion I think this medication really works to relieve my allergic rhinitis symptoms, but I would never take this medication again because I felt so drowsy I felt that my day was wasted because of its effects. Definitely not for people who are driving or who need to operate machinery. This medication is a cure for insomnia but will make you feel like a walking zombie the next day. I did not take it again and will just turn to non-drowsy antihistamines.

leo teme a says :

it never works to me it worsen my condition, my dry cough still
    a dry cough after taking this medicine for 5 days this is nonsense I bought it for 30 pesos per tablet and I search it, it is for allergies not for bronchitis

Galega says :

Actually, Cetirizine is also prescribed in the treatment of dry cough. Apart from that, your doctor should have also prescribed an antibiotic and possibly a cough syrup. The attempt is to tackle allergy apart from respiratory infection. That doesn’t work always and considered the first line of treatment. In the second line, your doctor will change the medicines and tackle the problem holistically after seeing X Ray reports.

dan says :

Just we wondering why your doctor told you to take it before going to bed??? I took mine in the morning just right after breakfast and there was no problem.

al says :

Hi. Cetirizine is a antihistamine drug that can cause drowsiness and inability to drive or operate machinery. Doctors usually suggest that it should be taken at bedtime for safety and comfort. I am also taking cetirizine at bedtime because I feel very sleepy everytime I am taking it.

Galega says :

Actually, Cetrizine can be taken at any time of the day. In most cases, Cetrizine is non-sedating and doesn t lead to drowsiness. If you are among this category of users, you can take it during the day time without any issue.

However, a small set of patients feel drowsiness as well as have sedating effect after taking Cetrizine. For them, it is highly recommended to take it before going to the bed.

Further, Centrizine can be taken with or without food. That won t make any difference.

Jjeth says :

is alnix 10mg tablet safe for pregnant women?

John says :

No, it’s not recommended. It contains antihistamine, which you shouldn’t take during pregnancy without a doctor’s recommendation.

Joy says :

Alnix citirizine is safe for pregnant, been using it because of my skin allergy, cetirizine has been assigned to pregnancy category B by the FDA, which means “No risks have been found in humans”.

Galega says :

Chlorpheniramine is the first line of antihistamine recommended for pregnant women. If it is not available, or the pregnant woman isn t able to cope up with it, Cetrizine can be given.

Generally, Cetirizine is given after the first trimester and under the medical supervision. The old rule of benefits outweigh risks comes into the picture. It means your doctor will prescribe it only when she will see benefits more than any possibility of risks.

Remember, Cetirizine is not recommended during breastfeeding stage.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2613121353700331/k2311a1213/12.13.10