New York Color (N.Y.C.) Eyelash Curler
  • I had already scheduled a couple of items online to be shipped, mostly hair accessories, when I decided to squeeze this into my purchases, because the price was too good to pass
  • The mentality of an online shopper (such as myself) likes orders to be combined and similar to a consumable ticket in a fattening fare – puts everything on one’s plate to make most out of the one-time shipping cost
  • The thing I love about this mascara is its seasoned talent for creating a beautiful curl
  • I like the snug-fitting contours of its metal frames
  • If you’re a certified mascara buff, I recommend this eyelash curler

• by jhunie

I had already scheduled a couple of items online to be shipped, mostly hair accessories, when I decided to squeeze this into my purchases, because the price was too good to pass. The mentality of an online shopper (such as myself) likes orders to be combined and similar to a consumable ticket in a fattening fare – puts everything on one’s plate to make most out of the one-time shipping cost. So many is better than a few items - whatever floats my boat. I checked videos in youtube and this NYC eyelash curler seemed to be getting a fair amount of praises from its users. They urged me further to buy the item.

The thing I love about this mascara is its seasoned talent for creating a beautiful curl. Some mascaras make my lashes look bent or as what others had dubbed the “L-shaped” curl. I guess the rubbery silicone pad takes the credit for that. I won’t say the padded base is soft and neither is the curler comfortable on the eye. I still feel it biting my eye lids, but I need that tension and a healthy, tolerable amount of tugging to produce the curl I want. I guess the pain is inevitably part of the process. I like the snug-fitting contours of

its metal frames. I think it fits my eyes well. Also, the angle, in which the curler is inherently positioned, is very much identical to the almighty shu uemura curler. It leans slightly backward. If you flip the finger loops upside down – the curling clasps look adjacent to the loop – almost forming a 90 degree angle. I don’t have very high cheek bones to make this curler’s job difficult, but my eyes burrow deeply into the lids, so I need something to reach deeper, instead of the typical narrowed angle of most curlers. Mechanically, the curler works because its frame includes a mini spring, which is quite a prominent feature of this beauty device. It allows me to apply a calculated amount of pressure as I press the curler.

To shape the lashes prior to mascara, I thought the curl only lasted a minute or so before I could see the lashes losing their curl. I strongly suggest you coat the lashes with mascara immediately while the curl is still well-defined. The mascara purposely adds hold to the curl, so it withstands the pull of gravity, as though putting strong hold wax on hair. Still, the weight of the ink drags the lashes down, even once mascara has been applied, so the last all-important ...

• step is to recurl the lashes. I make sure that my mascara is fully dry to prevent it from smudging. I love recurling the lashes and it works for me infallibly. In this case, the curler is more essential than the mascara, especially if you don’t find your mascara helps in shaping your lashes, besides sharpening the look. This curler redeems my not-so great mascara. Otherwise, it would have been a beauty letdown to wear mascara without a fluttery set of lashes, right?

What gripes me is the upper metal frame or jaw of the curler. My mascara-coated lashes stick on the metal frame after recurling and I worry that the lashes might fall out. Maybe I have to blame it on account of my mascara’s formula. The lashes really stick in there as I carefully detract the curler away from the eyes. They (lashes) adhere on the metal like glue but it’s possible to draw them out of the contoured metal by slowly moving the tool. Somehow, it seems not to affect the curl of my lashes afterwards. I happen to see a single lash fall out, thus far. It transpired only once whilst busying myself with a new mascara I just bought. It was the Estee lauder double wear mascara,

which didn’t produce the result I was going for during the first trial, but after that, this curler gave the mascara a wealth of volume.

I also don’t like the ink residue accumulating on the frame. Instead of the residue piling up on the silicone pad, the pressure accompanying the curling process pushes the excess ink up into the metal frame, which explains the matter. It’s very easy to wipe off the excess. Ironically, the silicone base only gathers very little stains and it’s not permanent compared to a cheap curler I owned back then. It would be embarrassing to tote a sloppy looking curler in public, or much less in the office.

I know this product originates among the crop of drugstore cosmetics everyone can find for a lot less, but I’ve never found an eyelash curler that performs so well like its premium counterparts. Heck I’ve been through many curlers of sorts, particularly those sourced from drugstores, and they’re most likely substandard in quality. My laura mercier eyelash curler is still the best around, I believe. But this is not a bad curler, nonetheless. It just takes a wee bit more clipping the lashes to achieve a satisfying curl. This eyelash curler cost me only 3 dollars. If you’re a certified mascara buff, I recommend this eyelash curler.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 318121349781231/k2311a128/12.8.10