Atkins Advantage Bars Chocolate Caramel Peanut Nougat, 1.6 Ounce  » Health  »
  • This bar can almost be a meal replacement, although I wouldn’t recommend using it that way on a regular basis
  • The main reason I love these particular bars is that they are the closest thing to a Snickers bar that I can eat without skyrocketing my blood sugar
  • They remind me a bit of Hershey’s special dark, which is not a problem since I happen to love that chocolate anyway
  • That can be used to your advantage, as you will probably consume less of them because of the cost

• by reviewabit

Being diabetic, I use a lot of the low carb Atkins products because they do not greatly affect my blood sugar. Some of their bars are great– others only so-so. This one is a staple in my sweet-craving arsenal, and I buy it on a regular basis. Although it is somewhat small, it packs twelve grams of protein, and ten grams of fiber– giving it some definite nutritional advantage.

The fiber keeps you fuller longer, and reduces appetite, and the protein is great if you don’t eat enough meat or need it for other reasons. This bar can almost be a meal replacement, although I wouldn’t recommend using it that way on a regular basis. It is more appropriate as a snack.

The main reason I love these

particular bars is that they are the closest thing to a Snickers bar that I can eat without skyrocketing my blood sugar. They have the same nougat base, with semi-solid caramel and peanuts on top, covered in chocolate. The chocolate on these bars is not a sweet as regular milk chocolate.

They remind me a bit of Hershey’s special dark, which is not a problem since I happen to love that chocolate anyway. The caramel used in sugar free bars always has a slightly different taste than regular caramel. It is not bad, just different.

It’s close enough to make me happy. I sometimes carry these around with me, and once when I gave one to an unsuspecting friend, she could not tell the difference in ...

• it from regular candy bars, and was shocked to find that it was a low carb product. I have checked my blood sugar regularly while consuming these, and there has been almost no effect on it whatsoever, so it is a great product for me to enjoy when I have a candy craving.

There is always the potential to over eat these and abuse the liberty of having a “safe” candy, so I have to watch how many I eat. I try to limit them to a couple a week (although I often exceed that, especially if I am under stress). To be fair, they are quite small.

That leads us to the price. Yes, these are expensive. If you want a cheap low carb product, you will

probably have to either buy it in bulk, or make it yourself.

Otherwise, you may pay an average of two dollars a bar for these. That can be used to your advantage, as you will probably consume less of them because of the cost. There seems to be some debate on whether these products are safe for children to use, but if you research the ingredients yourself and find that you are comfortable with them, it could be a great way to treat your kids without exposing them to all the sugar that is making our whole nation obese and diabetic.

It is all a matter of personal preference and priority. I am just glad these are available for me to eat, since eating a Snickers bar is not the wisest choice for me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 346121349360831/k2311a126/12.6.10