Stephensdom, or St. Stephen’s Cathedral, in Vienna, Austria  » Travel  »
Stephansplatz, Vienna, Austria
  • I found the limestone even more beautiful on closer observation
  • Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to see the catacombs, tombs, or tower chapels, for my schedule didn’t allow it
  • In the shop, I bought a rosary and a small figurine representing the cathedral

• by Amor Fati

Riding the escalator up from the U-Bahn to Stephensplatz, I felt my mouth open in awe as Stephensdom appeared, looming above me. My group and I couldn’t help but stop in our tracks and gaze at the fantastic gothic structure, making Austrians and tourists move around us. The towers, with their pointed tops, appealed to me most. The intricate designs carved into the stonework also fascinated me. So, after the initial sighting, I set out to learn more about the building.

Stephensdom, or translated as St. Stephen’s Cathedral, is the dominant church in Vienna, the church where the Archbishop resides. Apparently, what I viewed as purely gothic architecture also has shades of Roman architecture. Like the cathedral where Victor Hugo’s Quasimodo resided,

in a French town, Stephensdom stands at the very center of Vienna.

With this information in mind, I went back to see Stephensdom two or three more times during my stay in Vienna, and took the time to walk around the entire structure. Specifically, the cathedral was constructed out of limestone, with dimensions reaching nearly 450 feet high and 350 feet long. Various figurines carved into the stone include angels, prominent past individuals, and eagles. On one of my visits, I had the opportunity to hear the electronically run bells. At first, I couldn’t make out the source of the sound. The bells are so far above citizens’ heads.

Inside, I was further amazed. It seemed like every surface had an ornate painting.

• I saw saints, angels, heavenly creatures and frightening creatures, various biblical events, and depictions of God. I found the limestone even more beautiful on closer observation. And the carvings astonishing, in view of the skill the carvers must have had to create such art. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to see the catacombs, tombs, or tower chapels, for my schedule didn’t allow it. However, if ever I return to Vienna, I aim to go on a full tour of Stephensdom, to see the entire cathedral’s beauty.

Oddly enough, Stephensdom boasts a gift shop. While I found this strange, considering the cathedral is active and holds the Archbishop of Vienna, I was also thrilled. In the shop, I bought a rosary and

a small figurine representing the cathedral. The shop sold somewhere around 25 to 30 rosaries, so some considerable time passed before I made a decision. I eventually settled on one with green beads, with shades of pink, and a crucifix. The shop sold a few more items, including postcards, but the rosaries took up at least half the shop, costing anywhere from 20 to 35 euro.

Everyone who finds themselves in Vienna, Austria must schedule some time to visit Stephensdom in Stephensplatz. The architectural beauty stops tourists in their tracks, drawing them in to explore the construction and the history of the structure and location. Such a visit is bound to leave individuals with pleasant lifelong memories, making the travel expenses worthwhile.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 386121349190831/k2311a126/12.6.10