Memoirs of a Geisha (Movie 2005)
  • However, that's just it, the beauty I see is just skin deep for the I found the audio side to be very horrible

• by Shuyi

Chiyo, a little girl from a small village in the outskirts of Japan was sold to a geisha house where she works as a servant to pay off her parent’s debts. There, she began to pursue the life of a geisha in order to uplift her status and eventually to be closer to the man she loves.

Memoirs of a Geisha is a very unique film that took me back to ancient Japan long before the war. Japan is a land of conflict these days, it trapped between the realms of the past and the advancement of the future. The present generation is so engrossed with technology that japanese

tradition is slowly dying. It is a big relief for me to watch a beautifully crafted film. The trailer alone literally popped out of the screen, it immediately caught my attention. What really took my breath away was how the set led me back to the past; the cherry blossoms, the geisha houses, the silk kimonos, and the carriages that were totally driven by men, they were all so real that I can tell that this movie is not some cheapskate wannabe. Most of the cast were actual japanese actors or actresses except for Ziyi Zhang (Chiyo) who was chinese. Well, despite that, what matters is, the cast ...

• are asians. Com’on! You can’t have americans portray asian cultural roles, that would be plain stupid!

I have not read the book, nor have I been to Japan, however, the cinematography, the video quality of this movie has a soaring score in my standards. It is beautifully stunning just like a geisha. However, that’s just it, the beauty I see is just skin deep for the I found the audio side to be very horrible! The japanese cast were using the english language! I would have preferred it if the characters just used their own japanese language so that the whole movie would come out as natural as

possible! There’s no problem with that! They could just add the corresponding subtitles right at the lower part of the screen. The way the actors delivered their script in english (the pronunciation, the accent, everything) was so horrible, I can’t understand half of what they are saying!

Regardless of the horrible audio, I would still give this movie a high rating because it is one of those authentic, classic films that remained close to my heart! It is certainly one of a kind and it is a big eye opener to modern society who may have a slightly distorted perception of what a real geisha is.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116121348420631/k2311a126/12.6.10