Schonbrunn Palace Garden and Park in Vienna, Austria  » Travel  »
Vienna, Austria
  • All the same, my memory of the structure is limited, so I could not have been very impressed
  • Nevertheless, I believe Vienna, Austria has more attractive sites to behold than a garden and park

• by Amor Fati

Visitors who wish to tour the Schonbrunn Palace or the Schonbrunn Zoo must pay a hefty fee. However, to tour the Schonbrunn Garden and Park is free. Knowing this, my group and I made a visit one sunny afternoon, strolling through one of the most well-known public gardens in Austria.

Schonbrunn Palace and all the surrounding areas were not always public. In 1918, the last owner bequeathed his property to the state, which proceeded to open the historical structure to tourists. The beautiful architecture and elegant designs bring in visitors from all

countries annually. During my visit, I saw various people groups and heard several languages being spoken.

There are several wide, sweeping staircases in the gardens. This makes climbing the green slopes, found throughout Austria, simpler. Fountains and statues in the area look to be made of the same material as the staircases: limestone, or some material of the sort. The girls and I in my group took a picture while sitting on the lip of a fountain. This particular fountain shot water about 15 feet into the air and had a circumference,

• a water base, of around 30 to 40 feet. In the fountain were angels, frolicking about and playing instruments.

The pathways didn’t run straight throughout the garden. In the traditional English garden style, the pathways zigzagged to a central point: the Gloriette. The Gloriette is simply a large structure that individuals can climb to obtain a better view of the overall areas. Granted, the constructors did a good job and the designs are admirable. All the same, my memory of the structure is limited, so I could not have been very impressed.

On

the whole, while I cannot deny the natural beauty of the flowers, shrubs, and well kept lawns, I had little pleasure in what I saw. This is likely the result of my indifference to gardens in general, for I remember the fountains and the exterior of the Schonbrunn Palace far better. Nevertheless, I believe Vienna, Austria has more attractive sites to behold than a garden and park. So, unless visitors have the money to take the palace tour or have much time to kill, then they may wish to sightsee at other sites.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 386121348370631/k2311a126/12.6.10