Fort Bragg, California  » Travel  »
Fort Bragg, CA
  • No airport exists in close proximity to the small town, so the best way to reach the secluded area is by car on Freeway 101, Highway 1, Highway 20, or a combination of two or three roads
  • However, I know the town contains several hotels for tourists who wish to spend a few days in the area, surfing the waves, hiking the forest paths, and searching for hidden waterfalls
  • So, seeing stores designed solely to sell organic products and small groceries selling yards of hemp was all the more interesting for me to behold
  • Here I found postcards, a t-shirt, and magnets for my family

• by Amor Fati

Fort Bragg, California, a small town with about 7,000 residents on the West Coast, brings beach lovers and forest lovers together. No airport exists in close proximity to the small town, so the best way to reach the secluded area is by car on Freeway 101, Highway 1, Highway 20, or a combination of two or three roads. If tourists wish to see the ocean, they should take Freeway 101 or Highway 1. Those who delight in treacherously curvy roads and dense redwood forests should find a way unto Highway 20. Whatever road tourists take, they will land in a town ripe with beautiful landscapes.

My roommate from college and her family live in Fort Bragg. So, I had the opportunity to reside with them during my visit. However, I know the town contains several hotels for tourists who wish to spend a few days in the area,

surfing the waves, hiking the forest paths, and searching for hidden waterfalls. Other activities include visiting the lighthouses, seeing the state parks, shopping downtown, deep-sea fishing, kayaking, wale and bird watching, and horseback riding.

My friend and her family took me to see several sites. One family member took me down a forest path to see a hidden waterfall, a path only the locals know. Regular tourists have to take a paid tour to visit the same waterfall. My friend took me to see the Lord’s Land, a beach in Mendocino (the main tourist town in the area), and the 10-mile beach.

The 10-mile beach was incredible. Along with miles of rolling dunes and turning ocean waves are dense, dark forests. When my friend and I arrived at the beach, we found a spot without a single soul in sight for at least a mile. To the left-hand side,

• I saw a forest that vividly reminded me of Mirkwood Forest in The Lord of the Rings. The trees seemed impenetrable and the overgrowth wild. My friend all but gripped my sweatshirt to keep me from exploring.

If tourists decide to shop downtown, they will find most food and handmade items to be organic. Having grown up in this town, my friend eats nothing but all natural food. So, seeing stores designed solely to sell organic products and small groceries selling yards of hemp was all the more interesting for me to behold. My friend describes her hometown as a town full of old hippies, thus why the locals are so environmentally conscious.

Other than sightseeing and shopping in Fort Bragg, tourists visit Mendocino, CA to pick up memorabilia. Here I found postcards, a t-shirt, and magnets for my family. Many other products are sold, such as blouses, sweatshirts,

books, figurines, jewelry made out of hemp and beads, key chains, and shot glasses. Tourists also flock to Mendocino to see the beautiful sunsets. In fact, tourists can stop almost anywhere along Highway 1 and watch the beautiful sunsets. Locals certainly take the time to watch them, as often as three days a week.

Tourists will find plenty of restaurants, counting the bars. One of the local bars makes renowned pizzas and sells non-alcoholic beverages along with a wide array of alcoholic beverages. As expected, seafood is the order of most restaurants.

People who live in Northern California, or are driving through, should make at least a daytrip to Fort Bragg, CA. The natural beauty will make a lasting impression. The drive can be exciting, if driven carefully. So, with the refreshments the town offers and the products merchants sell tourists, people are bound to have a memorable time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 386121346630331/k2311a126/12.6.10