PBM Products Up & Up Diabetic Nutritional Shake 6pk. Vanilla  » Health  »
0.5
  • I definitely would not recommend this product to another diabetic when there are such enormously better alternatives

• by reviewabit

I was very ill with a stomach flu that had been making the rounds a few months ago. I sent my partner to the store to pick up some Glucerna shakes, because I was unable to eat solid food for a couple of days due to extreme nausea and diarrhea, I needed to try and keep my blood sugar levels stable. Glucerna and similar products are formulated for diabetics like me- to help stabilize blood sugar without causing it to spike. For the most part I find them to work well.

What my partner brought home was not Glucerna, for the store was apparently out of this brand, but “Up & Up” brand of diabetic shake. The box said it was comparable to Glucerna brand, so I expected it to be

very similar. The package was very bland and generic looking and that was probably my first clue to the quality.

I let the cans chill in the refrigerator for a few hours, then tried one. The consistency, flavor and even appearance were all very inferior to Glucerna. The shake was thinner than I expected, not at all creamy, and looked something like soy milk.

There was a slight bit of gritty substance at the bottom, even though I did shake it well before opening. I checked the date on the package, and it was well in date. The taste of the shake was much like a weak soy milk mixed with cheap vanilla flavoring and sweetened with stevia or saccharin, but not quite enough.

I drank the can ...

• anyway although I did not enjoy it. I needed the calories and didn’t want to call around searching for another store that might have what I originally intended to get. For the vast difference in quality, there was not that much difference in the price of the two items.

To be fair to the makers of Up and Up, it did affect my blood sugar levels pretty much the same way I would have expected the Glucerna to. So at least it did live up to its health claims and is not a dangerous product for diabetics to use. But they need some help in the culinary department! Out of all the nutrition shakes I have ever tried– Slimfast, Glucera, Carnation, and Ensure….

this was the worst tasting and worst looking.

If I wanted gritty soy milk, it would have been cheaper just to buy gritty soy milk. Mind you, I am not suggesting that the product contained soy milk, it just looked and tasted like it.

Bland, greyish, thin and just blah! I was sick already, I didn’t need any help feeling nauseous! I definitely would not recommend this product to another diabetic when there are such enormously better alternatives. It would be ok if you absolutely had to have something that fulfilled the need and it was the only one available, which it did in my case on this occasion. But for a general purchase, I would never choose this product again.

Up & Up needs to “up” their quality standards if they want to compete with their name brand competitors.

angel says :

Okay I found a product to call diabetic Nutritional Shake up and up looked it over despite that it was in my work refrigerator and it was slightly out of date the thing that help me the most was it said lactose free gluten free and help maintain blood sugar level recently I discovered in the last several months that I had gluten intolerance and told me to also be careful of milk products so considering the circumstances I decided that I would go and try it out I found it taste to be okay for sugar free products I believe it set on here

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 343121345270131/k2311a123/12.3.10