Celtic Christmas III: A Windham Hill Sampler  » Music  »
  • In short, listening to the CD is very much like the relaxing experience people describe having when they drink a glass of wine
  • As I stated, I like this album best for its ability to calm agitated states
  • I recommend this album to all artists as well as everyone who needs a way to relax after a difficult day at work or home

• by Amor Fati

In 1997, Michael O Domhnaill and Windham Hill Records produced “Celtic Christmas III: A Windham Hill Sampler.” The compilation includes twelve favorites from previous Celtic Christmas compositions, such as “The Wexford Carol,” “Circle of Joy,” “A Raven in the Snow,” and “Coinnle an Linoh Losa.” The soothing melodies and upbeat tunes have made feet swing and voices hum along for nearly two decades, and continue to do so today.

Contrary to its name, the music compilation sounds completely different from any Christmas melody Americans are

accustomed to hearing around the holidays. As a result, I listen to the compact disc year-round without a guilty conscious. The CD begins with a soothing melody, which calms me after an emotionally distressing day. Once relaxed, I feel the upbeat songs, incorporated later on, lift my spirits. In short, listening to the CD is very much like the relaxing experience people describe having when they drink a glass of wine.

I cannot recognize all the instruments used. Some of the more traditional instruments include ...

• pianos, flutes, violins, guitars, fiddles, cellos, drums, percussions, and cymbals. More exotic instruments, as described in the album cover, include Celtic harps, oboes, Uilleann pipes, pennywhistles, arch lutes, violas, accordions, and 6-key wooden flutes. All instruments combine to make inspirational music which stills all household storms.

The album I own was purchased some years ago, so I cannot be certain if music lovers can find this compilation in retail stores such as Borders and Barnes & Noble anymore. However, they can probably find the CD

in music stores, and they can certainly find the disc online. Depending on what website they visit, music lovers can probably purchase an album for anywhere between 12 and 17 dollars.

As I stated, I like this album best for its ability to calm agitated states. The music also serves to stir creative juices, encouraging all painters, drawers, sculptures, photographers, and writers alike. I recommend this album to all artists as well as everyone who needs a way to relax after a difficult day at work or home.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 143121344960131/k2311a123/12.3.10