2004 Saab 9-3 Aero  » Cars  »
  • By far, the greatest aspect of the 2004 Saab 9-3 is the driving experience
  • Unlike a lot of cars I've driven with this interesting feature, it doesn't make it any less easy to spin the wheels
  • The Saab 9-3 also has a feature that makes it lower when a certain speed is reached, which I thought was pretty nifty
  • I like to hear the engine for shifting points instead of looking at the speedometer or tach
  • If you're looking for a quick sport compact, consider a Saab 9-3 Aero

• by Ricardo L

I recently bought my buddy’s 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, with a 6spd standard. I didn’t really need it, but he needed the money and the price was right. I figured I could use the car for my business somehow. I’m not one for modern cars or luxury cars, and this one is both. But after driving it a while, I’ve come to realize that automobile manufacturers still have potential to create a great car.

By far, the greatest aspect of the 2004 Saab 9-3 is the driving experience. The power from the 6cyl engine is immense. I can burn out and chirp without effort (and sometimes by accident). It does 0-60 in under 6 seconds. Each gear has an excellent range, making acceleration quicker and easier. For such power, I’m very surprised to get fuel mileage close to 30mpg all around. It goes in gear very smoothly and amazingly, it cleans up a poor shift without any jerking. Unlike a lot of cars I’ve driven with this interesting feature, it doesn’t make it any less easy to spin the wheels. The handling is ridiculously good; I can go around hairpins at 50+ without any loss of traction, and I can make quick maneuvars while hardly feeling it.

The steering response is quick and precise. The Saab 9-3 also has a feature that makes it lower when a certain speed is reached, which I thought was pretty nifty. However, there are some issues I’ve found with it that go along with its modern design. The engine noise isn’t loud enough to suit my fancy. I like to hear the engine for shifting points instead of looking at the speedometer or tach. Also, the power steering and especially the power brakes are far too sensitive. The brakes are so touchy they’re either off or on with hardly any in-between. The steering wheel, while making for a quick, precise steer, is way too easy to turn. I often jerk it a little to hard. The clutch isn’t that bad; the only problem with it is that the grab point it a little low and you have to have it pushed in quite far to avoid grinding the gears. Otherwise, I have no complaints and only great things to say about the driving experience.

The comfort level is superb. The leather seats are actually leather, and they’re as comfortable if not more comfortable than my living room chair. The leather is nice and soft, and the padding perfectly ...

• contours to my back. I can drive it from Connecticut to Alaska and not have a single problem with my back. The ride is so smooth I can barely feel most bumps. As mentioned, it has a very quiet ride that I don’t like. Some people may like the quiet ride, but I don’t. But all in all, excellent ride.

The quality is certainly on par for something from Europe. It features all steel construction without any of that cheap plastic. The steel is reletivelly thick when compared to other modern cars. The doors close really tight and all the seams are close and even. The paint is really high quality. It hasn’t faded or peeled at all, despite being stored outside for its entire life. It has the appearance and accoustics of a well-put-togther car. In the interior, there is the typical obsession with plastic. But with the Saab 9-3, it looks to be nice plastic. The dash hasn’t cracked or discolored yet. I have to say I’m quite impressed.

The reliability of the Saab 9-3 is also well above par. It has 180K miles on it and it still runs like new. I haven’t had to do much maintenance to it- not even much regular

maintenance. Other than changing the oil every 3K, I don’t have to really do much to it. Sometimes I’m bored one day and I look for something to adjust or fix on my Saab, but there’s usually nothing to adjust or fix! But economy-wise, the extreme reliability is offset by expensive parts and a very complicated set-up that makes repairs a nightmare. I am a skilled, well experienced mechanic and I have to take it in the shop whenever something’s going on. I can’t figure out all the technology. The idea is simple- When it works, it’s awesome. But when it breaks, it sucks.

Overall I am really impressed with the 2004 Saab 9-3. It has excellent power, a good ride, and great reliability. I can’t really complain about it other than technology-related problems (I expected this from day one). I am actually happy I bought it. I now use it as my long-distance vehicle (a 1973 VW is not what you’d call a cross country driver when it comes to comfort). I paid $7K for mine, and I’d pay $10K for such a car. For what they go for they are an excellent value. If you’re looking for a quick sport compact, consider a Saab 9-3 Aero.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 91121344420831/k2311a121/12.1.10