Nature’s Way Valerian Root, 530 mg, 180 capsules  » Health  »
1.0
  • I had tried several other natural remedies, but so far nothing had really worked well enough to even consider trading the drug in for it
  • So, unfortunately, it seems valerian is not what I needed, and I reluctantly went back to my side effect producing yet very effective prescription drug to help me sleep
  • I can’t really say that I recommend this product

• by reviewabit

I’ve been taking a drug called amitriptyline for many years, to help me sleep. My brain apparently does not like to stay in the deepest stage of sleep for long enough to do any good, so I have to have something that will keep it there. While the drug works well, I have tried several times to get myself off of it, just because I did not like the potential side effects from long term use. One of the natural remedies I tried was Valerian Root.

I was browsing in a natural foods store, and saw this Nature’s Way product on sale for a very good price. It is high potency, and I had read several articles that mentioned valerian root as a

possible aid to sleep and relaxation. Although I had not tried any valerian products before, the price was right and I wanted to see if it would work, so I took home a bottle of 180 capsules.

It’s not as much as it sounds like, because you have to take three capsules at once as a serving. I always feel a little cheated when they package it that way, but I have learned to look at serving sizes before buying. Hopefully this would be a product that could help wean me from my dependance on amitriptyline for the rest of my life.

I had tried several other natural remedies, but so far nothing had really worked well enough to even consider trading the drug in for it. I had only used Nature’s Way brand supplements a couple of times before. One product I was pretty happy with, and the other left me a bit flat.

Overall, I felt it would be an ok quality– and this was just an experiment anyway. The packaging was ordinary, and the capsules looked like any other, but the one thing that stood out was the awful smell of them. I had to turn away to keep from retching when I first smelled them.

It’s a little hard to describe, but a bit like old garbage mixed with cat feces! It was that bad. I was not looking forward to choking three of those ...

• Nature's Way Valerian Root, 530 mg, 180 capsules
      down every night. Somehow, I managed the first dose.

I did not expect it to take effect the first time I used it, but to my surprise, I was a bit sleepy soon after taking it. I fell asleep quite easily that night, but I did awake in the early hours of the morning, not feeling as if I had slept long enough. I didn’t want to bother with another dose as I was not sure how safe it would be, so I basically laid in bed, tossing and turning.

The next night I took my three capsules, gagged at the smell again, and went to bed. This time I did not feel sleepy and I began to think the night before

was a “fluke. ” For the next week or so, I repeated this dose at night and got very mixed results.

I do not know to this day if they valerian actually helped, or if it was simply coincidence that I felt sleepier on some nights. At any rate, they did not do what I needed them to do– they did not keep me in the deep stage of sleep for longer than my brain would have allowed on its own. So, unfortunately, it seems valerian is not what I needed, and I reluctantly went back to my side effect producing yet very effective prescription drug to help me sleep.

I can’t really say that I recommend this product… it simply didn’t work for me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 341121342990131/k2311a121/12.1.10