Sohotel, NY Budget NY Accomodation  » Travel  »
#341 Broome St. # New York, NY 10013 New York, USA
  • Granted in all my trips to the Big Apple I've been careful when it comes to planning and I often to research for the best deals
  • Granted it was one of the smaller rooms but currently a decent hotel in a decent location can cost upwards of $250
  • So the rooms may surprise you but that's just part of the NYC experience
  • The staff however were very helpful with bringing my bags up the steps, without issue
  • I would definitely recommend the Sohotel to my friends

• by love2travel

I absolutely love New York City and if not for the prices, I would probably live there. Granted in all my trips to the Big Apple I’ve been careful when it comes to planning and I often to research for the best deals. I tried the Sohotel because for a September trip, because at the time I could get a room for just under $100. Granted it was one of the smaller rooms but currently a decent hotel in a decent location can cost upwards of $250. The Sohotel prices range from $100 for a couple to $300 for a family of 5, it all depends on what you need. The hotel itself proved very accommodating.

First great thing about this hotel, is it’s location. It’s located on Broome St, which is part of Manhattan = one of the more ‘posh’ parts of New York City. One thing most people may notice about this hostel at first glance is that the hotel, it’s lobby and especially it’s rooms are very small. This isn’t a negative towards the hotel, in fact in NYC, from hostels to Boutique hotels ‘European style’ rooms are rampant, and these are very small. Unless you have hundreds of dollars to spend per night

on lodging, don’t expect much as far as space. So the rooms may surprise you but that’s just part of the NYC experience.

The staff here are great, very friendly and very helpful. When I first arrived and realized that there no elevators and just stairs I almost fainted. The staff however were very helpful with bringing my bags up the steps, without issue. I also felt very welcomed in general and because of the location, the staff and the management in general, I felt very safe the entire time here. This is something I think is a big concern for women traveling along.

The crowd here is lively. The other guests were mostly 20 and 30 things, many backpackers. They weren’t noisy at all. Despite the prices, this hotel doesn’t attract the unruly backpackers that one my associated with a low star hotel. One thing that I would like to mention to everyone reading is that the ’star’ system allocated to hotels isn’t necessarily a reflect of the service or cleanliness, it’s simply a reflection of what is available. The more amenities, the higher the star rating. If you were to walk into this hotel, the decor is brilliant. There is a very hip yet historical ...

• feel. The rooms are small but well decorated, the lobby and lounge areas are very old world European looking and for me, it was an added charm to the experience. I could actually walk into the hotel and imagine it being around way back in the day. Now this hotel has been recently renovated but the charm is all there.

Also an issue with many lower priced hotels is cleanliness. This hotel was VERY clean and was very good at keeping up with the ‘trendy chic’ Manhattan surroundings. Sometimes when checking into cheaper hotels, the linen either feels dirty and worn or the beds feel like they may be 100 years old. Not here. The sheets, linen, comforter- everything where beautiful to look at, they kind of reminded of an upscale version of my grandmother’s comforter and the beds were really comfortable. The second night I didn’t want to get out of bed! I slept so well but the bed was so soft and warm I didn’t want to leave it.

The key areas of the hotel, like the bathroom, and the staircases were immaculate. Very clean. So all in all, between the staff, the location, the bedding, the great vibe - this place is just fantastic

and it’s great value for money. If you book in advance or you take advantage of their specials ( they have a Facebook account so you can look them up like that ) you can get a really good deal! Even if you have a part of 4 or 5, you may end up spending $300 for a larger room. This may seem like a lot but for Manhattan, it’s nothing. Other hotels will charge in excess of $500 over to accommodate that many people. It’s funny to me that this place is not more well known because it really is a great place to stay. It’s within walking distance to many shops, restaurants and Tourist attractions.

If you are on a budget and headed to the big apple, check out the Sohotel - it’s a great place to stay and it’s close to everything you’d want to see as well as close to all forms of transport. Just don’t expect it to be what most people consider ’spacious’, it’s New York City, unless you’re a multi- millionaire or at least well off, don’t expect a lot of space. It’s not too hard to get used to. I would definitely recommend the Sohotel to my friends.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381121342560131/k2311a121/12.1.10