Estee Lauder Signature Hydra Lustre Lipstick in Mocha  » Cosmetics  »
  • So for anyone who loves soft pink lipsticks, you may be disappointed with this set, because none of the shades are like that
  • I have only tried on three of them so far, and here is what I think of the latest one -- Mocha
  • Mocha is an interesting shade, because it is not a pale nude, but it's not a true brown color either

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I am really liking the colors in this year’s Estee Lauder holiday set of five Hydra Lustre lipsticks for $37.50. You can’t go wrong with this set, because the lipsticks cover a broad spectrum of shades. You get a red shade, a burgundy, a pink, a coral, and a nude shade. So Estee Lauder has all the bases covered, although the pink shade looks to be a rich raspberry color. So for anyone who loves soft pink lipsticks, you may be disappointed with this set, because none of the shades are like that. They are all bold looking colors. I have only tried on three of them

so far, and here is what I think of the latest one — Mocha.

Mocha is an interesting shade, because it is not a pale nude, but it’s not a true brown color either. It almost makes me think of caramel or maybe coffee with milk in it. It almost has a spicy or nutty tone, like chestnuts maybe. So this is a nice autumn color, and I think it has a slight frosty sheen. But it is very neutral looking, so you may want to liven it up with a touch of pearly lip gloss. That will accentuate the frostiness that is already in the lipstick. Or ...

• you could even layer a slightly brighter lipstick over it.

But I think this is meant to be worn alone, for those days when you want to sport a natural look. Mocha will look great on days when you want to put the focus on your eyes, wear smoky eye make-up, and downplay your lips. So it’s basically a question of whether you think nude or brown-toned lipstick looks good on you or whether you think it makes you look washed out. I personally think that bright colors look better on me, but I think that Mocha will be fine on autumn days when I want to celebrate

the beauty of the season. I would wear it with a brown sweater. I think it will look especially pretty with a copper brown sweater, and I happen to have one!

If you think brown lipstick looks too dark on you, but you are open to beige or nude lipsticks, then you may want to try on Mocha at the Estee Lauder counter. It may surprise you, because it’s not quite as dark as it looks on the tube. (I have found that to be the case with many lipsticks lately.) On my lips, Mocha looks like caffe latte. Maybe that’s what Estee Lauder should have called it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 311121342451231/k2311a121/12.1.10