King Fahd Causeway  » Travel  »
2.0
Saudi Arabia/Bahrain
  • I had the experience of traversing the 25 kilometer long causeway when I was going back to the Philippines after working for 2 years in the kingdom
  • I chose to travel the route because I thought it would be easier going to Bahrain to get a connecting flight to my country rather than taking the trouble of going all the way to King Fahd International Airport in Dammam which is more than 80 km from the city center

• by juncolt

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

King Fahd causeway is a bridge connecting Saudi Arabia and Bahrain. I had the experience of traversing the 25 kilometer long causeway when I was going back to the Philippines after working for 2 years in the kingdom. I chose to travel the route because I thought it would be easier going to Bahrain to get a connecting flight to my country rather than taking the trouble of going all the way to King Fahd International Airport in Dammam which is more than 80 km from the city center. The airline company which I had made my booking arranged

two coaches to ferry us passengers to the airport in Manama Bahrain.

However, the experience I had traversing the causeway was an ordeal. Besides the heavy traffic these was also the cumbersome immigration and customs procedure on the bridge. So the 25 kilometer trip took me about 4 hours and more due to the bureaucratic rigmarole.

Along the span, there were a number of stops we had to make to process immigration and other requirements. First was the toll booth which collects 20 riyals (about $5) per vehicle. Next was the police clearance window.

Here they check the vehicle ...

• registration to ensure the vehicle rightly belongs to the person who is crossing the bridge. After the papers were checked the driver was given clearance papers. Another window, the window 3, is the immigration counter where the exit/re-entry visas were checked and stamped.

At window no. 4 the driver produced the police clearance issued at window 2. After this point we were out of Saudi Arabia.

Now, the next hurdle is when we entered the Bahrain side of the causeway. I still kept my patience. The first window was the Bahrain immigration.

Once we got the entry stamp we went

straight to window 2 for customs where authorities checked our baggage. After checking they issued an all clear paper. The last window we encountered along the bridge was the window for arranging a Bahraini insurance for the vehicle.

It was insurance for 24 hours or for the duration of the vehicle in Bahrain. I was finally relieved upon reaching the other end of the bridge and proceeded to the airport. At that point I thought about the businessmen who regularly travel to and from Bahrain going through six windows especially during rush hours.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3829111341720230/k2311a1129/11.29.10