The Walking Dead (Episodes 1-3)  » TV  »
  • For example, it's amazing to say the least that even in a world inhabited by zombies, you still have obnoxious racists like Merle Dixon and wife beaters
  • It is moral situations like these that make The Walking Dead such an interesting TV show to watch
  • Not having read a single issue of The Walking Dead comic book, I'm afraid I cannot give a comparison nor am I inclined to buy the comics

• by Rory

I’ve always been a fan of zombie movies, but strangely enough, I haven’t tried to read any zombie comic books, including the critically acclaimed graphic novel series The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman. So when it was announced that director Frank Darabont was doing a TV series out of the graphic novel, I just had to check it out. Thankfully, FX decided to air the series in Asia the same week as in the U.S.

Being a huge fan of Frank Darabont’s earlier movies (particularly “The Shawshank Redemption” and “The Mist”), I already knew that he would play upon a favorite theme of his – that the more horrific

monsters are HUMAN monsters. No, I’m not talking about the poor humans-turned-ravenous zombies. I’m talking about certain characters that would make life hell for the heroes, heroines and overall decent folks in the story.

For example, it’s amazing to say the least that even in a world inhabited by zombies, you still have obnoxious racists like Merle Dixon and wife beaters. Then there’s the not-so-obvious “monster” in Shane Walsh, who promptly inveigled his way into the bed of Rick Grimes’ wife Lori. Speaking of Lori, it makes you even question her “faithfulness” to Rick. Seriously, would you abandon your comatose husband in a zombie-filled hospital, even if his so-called “best ...

• friend” tells you he’s dead?

It is moral situations like these that make The Walking Dead such an interesting TV show to watch. A plus for the show is casting lesser known actors. By virtue of making the characters exactly like you and me, it makes it easier for the audience to relate to them. Actor Andrew Lincoln especially is a great actor. Despite being the hero of the series, he does not “overwhelm” the rest of his castmates. In fact, he plays Rick Grimes with a quiet, subdued air that clearly defines him as the “thinking hero”.

A lot of comic book fans have been praising the TV series

for being faithful to the graphic novel. Not having read a single issue of The Walking Dead comic book, I’m afraid I cannot give a comparison nor am I inclined to buy the comics.

For the moment, I am truly enjoying the moral dilemmas in The Walking Dead. Although horror is not generally considered as a “thinking man”’s genre, the TV series has certainly given me a lot of food for thought on how I myself would react and act when placed in a similar situation. One thing’s for sure. If I were a character in The Walking Dead, I certainly wouldn’t get myself eaten by a zombie. *wink*

Angel says :

You’re right. The tough decisions that the characters need to make are what make the show very interesting. About Shane, though, I don’t think he really meant to do that. As I can see in the series, there’s no way that he can take Rick with him without both of them getting caught. I think that he did what a best friend should do, which is to take care of his best friend’s family when his best friend can’t. He just started to become a monster when he wanted Lori for himself - too much. I even understand Lori because she has a son to look after. If I was in her position, the welfare of my son will be my priority especially when she was informed that Rick is already dead. It will be different if she does not have a son to take care of, though.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1024111338121030/k2311a1124/11.24.10