Zerlex (Cetirizine) 10 mg Tablet
  • Given the high cost of medicines in the Philippines, it has become a necessity for a lot of Filipinos – yours truly included – to look for cheaper alternatives to branded medicines
  • Unfortunately for me, most of the branded Cetirizine products take more than an hour to work on me
  • I decided to bring the product to a chemist friend and she told me that generic drug companies follow the same high manufacturing standards as known brand companies
  • Needless to say, from my experience with Zerlex, I have since replaced most of my medications with generic drugs

• by Rory

Given the high cost of medicines in the Philippines, it has become a necessity for a lot of Filipinos – yours truly included – to look for cheaper alternatives to branded medicines. Since I am highly prone to allergies – both skin and allergic rhinitis – I am required to take Virlix (Cetirizine) 10 mg daily or even twice a day for severe allergy attacks. Unfortunately for me, most of the branded Cetirizine products take more than an hour to work on me. Because of the severity of the itchiness and my nasal and throat allergies, I have to take an additional allergy product (Iterax) in

order to relieve the symptoms. Of course, there’s the price. Most branded Cetirizine products like Virlix cost more than Php20.00. If one were to take it once or twice daily, it still would cost a lot of money.

It was my doctor who informed me that Virlix is now available as a generic product, and she recommended me to go to a brand new pharmacy chain that specializes in generic medicines (The Generics Pharmacy). It was at this pharmacy that I was able to buy Zerlex (Cetirizine) 10 mg manufactured by this company in India called Plethico. I have to admit that I was hesitant about ...

• using generic products since it was etched in my mind that generic medicines are “sub-standard” drugs in comparison to branded medications. So I was at first reluctant to use it and waited until my Virlix supply ran out.

However, it just so happened that I had a bad allergy attack the day after I drank my last Virlix tablet, so I had no choice but to try out Zerlex. You could just imagine my surprise when my symptoms subsided after only 30 minutes! Needless to say, I was amazed, but I still had my doubts. I decided to bring the product to a chemist friend and she

told me that generic drug companies follow the same high manufacturing standards as known brand companies. These generic companies are even stricter because they have to meet the same high quality. But, she did advise me to only purchase generic drugs from reputable generic drugstores in my country.

Needless to say, from my experience with Zerlex, I have since replaced most of my medications with generic drugs. I get the same or even greater effectiveness with generics in comparison to branded medications. Using my Cetirizine experience, Virlix costs Php24.00. But Zerlex (and other Cetirizine generic drugs) costs only Php3.80. That’s a big price difference, which means huge savings for me.

alvin says :

hello I am also suffering from allergic rhinitis. Can you message me your doctor’s clinic? thanks

Galega says :

You can visit any physician near you for proper diagnosis and treatment. Apart from Zerlex, you are also required to take lots of other medicines.

alvin says :

can you mention which clinic you can buy Zerlex?

Galega says :

It is available everywhere. If you don’t fine the brand name Zerlex, you should just ask for Cetrizine 10mg tablet. Wherever you might be, Cetrizine will be available at a retail shop near you.

It should be given only when there is clear sign of allergy. It should not be taken for more than 5 days without doctor’s recommendations.

RiccaBookish says :

Antihistamines don’t come cheap. I used to take Cetirizine when I suffered from mild insomnia. It worked for a while until eventually worsening my sleeplessness.

There’s also another generic brand called Cetyl-10, which is given free in public health clinics.

Han says :

really? wow i have persistent allergic rhinitis as well and it occurred to me that i have skin allergies as well so i went to a doctor yesterday and gave me this virlix… to my surprise it costs 49.00 each tablet and i need to take it for 5 days whoa aside from other tablets yet….

Rory replies :

Virlix is very expensive. I really couldn’t take it as a daily medication. At present, the price of Cetirizine at The Generics Pharmacy is P2.00 only.

Galega says :

Virlix is really very expensive. I don’t see any reason to buy this medicine. You will always have the option of getting generic product. There are many low cost options of Virlix. I have used many. The low cost options provide same result. They doesn’t compromise on the efficacy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2624111337670930/k2311a1124/11.24.10