2008 Wildfire R8 49cc Scooter  » Other  »
2.5
  • One day I found a 2008 Wildfire R8 for sale near my house, then only a year old
  • For $500 I decided I’d pick it up and see if I can get it going
  • Thanks to a very convenient way to get the seat off (just a few 10mm bolts) and a simple carburetor, I had it running beautifully in 10 minutes
  • The plastic used isn’t of amazing quality, but it’s by far not the worst I’ve seen
  • As long as you know its stopping distance when you ride it, you shouldn’t have a problem

• by Ricardo L

I was recently in the market for an inexpensive 49cc scooter that I can let my buddy ride around. I loved my Tomos Nitro 50, but it was a little expensive and I couldn’t find one used. I wanted something cheap that can get the job done. One day I found a 2008 Wildfire R8 for sale near my house, then only a year old. It had under 100 miles on it and was in mint condition, practically a new scooter. It hadn’t run in a little while and wouldn’t start. It was a $1200 new scooter. For $500 I decided I’d pick it up and see if I can get it going. It turned out to be an awesome decision.

Later that day I brought it home and began looking into why it didn’t run. It turned out to be a simple fix; all I had to do was clean the carb a little. I didn’t even need to take the whole carburetor off. Thanks to a

very convenient way to get the seat off (just a few 10mm bolts) and a simple carburetor, I had it running beautifully in 10 minutes. It’s obviously made to be worked on by the common owner- something that is very hard to find in any modern machine. It makes it a lot more enjoyable and comforting to own.

The plastic used isn’t of amazing quality, but it’s by far not the worst I’ve seen. It’s pretty thin, not hard to crack, but as long as you don’t run it into a wall you won’t have a problem. The plastic around one of the seat bolts is cracked, making the bolt useless, but that’s the only one I can think of. It has a good steel frame that seems to be hard to bend. I’ve ridden straight into potholes at high speeds and I didn’t break anything. The seat has a little problem latching (you have to press pretty hard) but it’s easy to get used to. The seams ...

• are nice and tight; no spurs, burrs, uneven cuts, etc. Overall it’s not bad quality for an inexpensive scooter. The only issue is the glove box; it is entirely plastic, latch and all, and has a tendency to not want to close fully. But as I said, other than a few odds and ends it’s a pretty good scooter.

The scooter goes pretty well. It has acceleration that can easily keep up with traffic. Its top speed is labeled at only 27mph but I’ve had it going well past 40 without any upgrades. It can go up hills unbelievably well, despite me weighing over 200 pounds. It’s very impressive performance wise. It’s even a little better than the Tomos Nitro 50 (probably due to it being smaller and lighter than the Tomos). Despite front disk brakes, the stopping distance isn’t that good. It takes a lot of distance to stop. As long as you know its stopping distance when you ride it, you shouldn’t have a problem. But

it sure gave me a surprise after getting off my Tomos, which takes a mere few feet to stop fully.

Its reliability is actually really good, especially for its low price. Between me and my buddy, it has been ridden over 2000 miles. It still runs like new. It hasn’t really needed any repairs or parts replaced other than typical consumables. It’s all about how you ride it. As long as you don’t go insane on the speed and keep the oil changed, it will keep going.

The one problem with it is its size. It is really small. I’m 6 foot 1 and I can barely fit on it. After a while I can get a little comfortable, but my knees are so high that it reduces my turning radius.

Overall this is a really good scooter for the money. It’s a bit small as mentioned, but it gets the job done well. Relatively good quality, reliable, and pretty fast for a 2hp scooter. It earns an honest 8/10.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1224111337580930/k2311a1124/11.24.10