Batman Forever, movie  » Movies  »
2.0
  • I thought to myself that everything the two villains did was over the top, unbelievable and would have been better as a long Saturday morning cartoon than a full film
  • I’m a big Batman fan, but when I envision Gotham City, I think of a dark and moody place, and this film had none of that

• by Ryan Carter

Val Kilmer’s time out as Batman isn’t a bad turn at the helm, but it’s certainly not as strong as the original 89 movie with Michael Keaton in the role. Still this film had a great caste, but it made the same mistake that has killed so many other superhero movie: it has too much going on for one film, and it trades in a dark setting for lighter fare.

I’ll never understand why the more movies that a superhero makes it through, the more villains’ that he must fight at the same time. For this film, Batman must take on not only

the Riddler, played hysterically by Jim Carrie, but also Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face. When you add on top of his full plate the semi adoption of Robin as well, there is too much here for one film to pull off completely.

Maybe it was Jack Nicholson setting the bar so high in 89, but I just didn’t think that the Riddler was worthy of being one of the enemies. What once was a film for teenagers and adults with a dark tone, finds itself lightning up for a more general audience. The Riddler makes the film feel to childish, and while ...

• he’s certainly funny, I didn’t find him a bit imposing or dangerous.

The same is also true for Two Face. He feels childish and not a bit intimidating. I thought to myself that everything the two villains did was over the top, unbelievable and would have been better as a long Saturday morning cartoon than a full film. Clearly, the dark mind of Tim Burton was not behind the camera for this film.

I’m a big Batman fan, but when I envision Gotham City, I think of a dark and moody place, and this film had none of that. The story line with Robin

was simply too weak, even with the parental deaths added in, to give this film the appearance of a dark or moody setting. There simply isn’t anything here than makes me think the city needs a hero against crime lords. Instead, I got the feeling that the city simply needs to wait a couple of years and the hoodlums with the glow sticks will grow out of it. And, when I though that the movie couldn’t be farther from its roots, I saw Val Kilmer step out in a silver bat suit with silver nipples…I simply just can’t get on board with this film.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1123111336660430/k2311a1123/11.23.10