Bobbi Brown Lip Color in Burgundy
  • I bought this lipstick a few years ago, when I was just starting to get acquainted with Bobbi Brown make-up
  • This burgundy shade is definitely deep red, but it doesn't look vampy like some other burgundies do
  • Unfortunately, I don't see it on the Bobbi Brown website, so it may be discontinued

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I bought this lipstick a few years ago, when I was just starting to get acquainted with Bobbi Brown make-up. I had always seen her counter at Bloomingdale’s, and I was curious about it, but I never took the time to browse there until some time later. It was when she introduced her “nude” collection, with nude-toned lipsticks and eye shadows. It was around that time that I started getting interested in Bloomingdale’s gift-with-purchase promotions at the Bobbi Brown counter. I bought this lipstick in Burgundy so I could get the free gift.

This is a nice shade of burgundy, because it doesn’t seem

to have as much brown in it as I usually see. This burgundy shade is definitely deep red, but it doesn’t look vampy like some other burgundies do. Maybe it is because there is less brown pigmentation. It is more of a wine red or brick red color. I can see the brown color when I look at the lipstick on the tube. But when I put it on my lips, the color seems to lighten a bit as I peer at it in the mirror. I suppose you could say this is a “kindler, gentler” burgundy.

So if you have always steered clear ...

• of burgundy lipstick, thinking it’s too dark and dramatic looking, then you may be more receptive to this shade. You may find this to be a more wearable burgundy, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the idea Bobbi had in mind when she was creating this lip color. Maybe she knew that some women shy away from burgundy, so she figured she would make her version of it a touch lighter.

That was a great thing to do, because now I will be more likely to wear this. And you don’t have to wear it with just burgundy clothes. I would wear it

with bright red, white, tan, black, brown, navy blue, or olive green. And even though it is a dark red to wear to holiday celebrations, I would just sweep a coat of pearly lip gloss on top of it to give it a festive luster. How cool is that?

So for those ladies who have always been afraid to wear burgundy, you can put your fears to rest. This one is great, thanks to Bobbi Brown. Unfortunately, I don’t see it on the Bobbi Brown website, so it may be discontinued. But you can purchase it on a website called Perfumezilla.com for $22. Hope you like it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3122111335820530/k2311a1122/11.22.10