Lee Sharpe  » People  »
  • I was drawn to him not only because he was English, but he had been born in Birmingham, as I had been and I think this made me feel more connected to a player at my favourite club
  • They enjoyed great competition to get the left back slot, with the other having to fill in on the right wing when needed
  • He went to Leeds but injury plagued his season and from this point the rest of his career and unfortunately I don't feel as though Lee Sharpe ever went on to fulfill his potential

• by JustHonest

When I was growing up Lee Sharpe broke onto the scene as a Manchester United player. By todays standards he probably wasn’t all that special, but back then he was quick and he was skillful and the country had not seen such a young player thrive in top flight football for many years.

at my favourite club. He was attracting real attention though. His pace would take him past players, his skill would confuse players and he had the ability to find the back of the net as well.

As a left winger he was an excellent prospect and I just loved watching him. Whilst he was happy to use his right foot when needed he was very much left footed but just as Sharpe was starting to try and establish himself in the United team, Ryan Giggs also appeared ...

• on the scene, a very talented left winger with a great left foot.

They enjoyed great competition to get the left back slot, with the other having to fill in on the right wing when needed. Sharpe was not really getting the England recognition he deserved though, he had received a few caps but with the country screaming out for a player like him, injury and competition for places seemed to get in his way.

Prior to Euro 96 he made a decision to leave Manchester United. He

was a valuable squad player, but was struggling to hold down a starting place and was keen to cement a place in the England squad prior to Euro 96 which was being held in England. He went to Leeds but injury plagued his season and from this point the rest of his career and unfortunately I don’t feel as though Lee Sharpe ever went on to fulfill his potential.

Still a great player and a great man though and im chuffed he was once a Manchester United player.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5222111335490430/k2311a1122/11.22.10